Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Things I Learned Over Spring Break

Things I Learned Over Spring Break last week:

*Not everyone in this family enjoys being at home as much as I do. (I'm not naming names, but most, if not all, of the offenders are under the age of fifteen--you do the math.)

*Their lack of enjoyment seriously altered any enjoyment I previously enjoyed.

*Attitudes of restlessness and boredom (Bored! I am SOOOOO BORED!!!) are contagious, particularly between siblings, brothers namely.

*Any, and all, efforts to combat the aforementioned attitudes of restlessness and boredom (Why don't you scrub the baseboards / clean the playroom / load the dishwasher?) are not only unappreciated but actually repulsed.

*Steriods, while extremely helpful in combating a very bad case of poison ivy, have the terrible side effect of making contrary children not only even more contrary but also highly emotional and I do mean HIGHLY emotional.

*Highly emotional contrary children at home for spring break make for a very long week for the mommy who is short on patience and quick of temper.

*Three month old nieces are so sweet, especially when they lay on their changing table and coo and laugh.

*My youngest son adores his 21 month old cousin. (Okay, so I didn't just learn this, but it was fun to watch them together and be reminded.)

*Sisters who live in the next state live far too far away. (I didn't just learn this either)

*My fourteen year old son can ride one hundred miles on a BICYCLE. In one day. One sitting, so to speak. That's amazing.

*The Lord's mercies are new every morning. (I didn't just learn this either, but it really helps to be reminded of the Lord's mercies during spring break...and every morning!)

12 comments:

  1. Oh poison Oak and Ivy are so terrible! So sorry...
    I have to say that school breaks weren't my favortie times in life except for not having to get everyone up and out on time...
    The Lord's mercies are new for sure. Open our eyes to see them each new day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 100 MILES! Wow!!!

    Spring break was kind of a bust around here too. It left me dreading summer, only a month and a half a way. And I usually love summer. But I don't know if I can listen to "I'm bored. What can I dooooo?" for two months straight. It is good for my prayer life though...with my constant alternating prayer of "Lord, give me patience" and "Lord, please forgive me for losing my temper!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get tired of the "I'm bored" comments, too. Like you, I offer solutions that get shot down.

    Hopefully the summer won't be too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son's school doesn't have a spring break, which causes him no end of consternation. However, I'm sure we'd end up in the same boat as you if he *did* get a spring break.

    And 100 miles? I'm very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had quite the spring break - sanctification, poison ivy, family, bike rides (quite the ride!!!!), ect! : )

    Thankful you were able to be refreshed each morning by His new mercies!!! I think I actually needed to be reminded of that right here...right now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this post! Too funny! So sorry about BOREDOM and STEROIDS...ugly combo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO cute! I hope no one has poison anything over summer break, children are far too emotional without the steroids!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I feel his poison ivy pain. That is the WORST! I have a horrible memory of that.

    Can't believe how late some of you folks have spring break. Good grief, we only have 5 more weeks of school! :-)

    I so hear you on the griping and the boredom and the bickering. And that's just Mom! LOL I've already told my son he is not going to be parked in front of the computer this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I learned 7 out of 10 of those things on our spring break also..:)))

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post. As a mom of boys, I get this post. By the way: "Steriods, while extremely helpful in combating a very bad case of poison ivy, have the terrible side effect of making contrary children not only even more contrary but also highly emotional and I do mean HIGHLY emotional" Oh, absolutely. My youngest is on breathing treatments including steroids and I can testify to the highly emotional thing.

    I can so much relate to this post. Hang in there, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I learned 7 out of 10 of those things on our spring break also..:)))

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. I get tired of the "I'm bored" comments, too. Like you, I offer solutions that get shot down.

    Hopefully the summer won't be too bad.

    ReplyDelete