Monday, April 14, 2008

To be found faithful

It's Monday and that means Bible study. Tonight we begin a new study, one that I have taught before almost exactly six years ago. Although it will be a review in some respects, I know that God's Word is living and active and will speak to me here at this stage of life just as it did six years ago. I am excited and nervous both!

Out of curiosity I looked up the documents on the computer pertaining to the previous study and found only one, a list of participants. It is my general practice to give out a list of study participants mainly so that we may pray for each other. I was shocked as I realized that out of the list of about 20 ladies, including myself, only three were still involved in Bible study, including myself.

Some ladies have moved, at least one has passed from this life to the next, and some, to my shame, I do not even remember who they were. I once tallied up how many different studies I had facilitated over the years, a number I can no longer remember; now I wonder how many different women have passed through my Bible study doors over the years.

I am not concerned with numbers, I got past that a long time ago. Nor do I get offended when someone drops out. It once hurt my feelings, but now I know it happens. Here's what I am pondering: what did I do with that sphere of influence granted me in that woman's life, however long, however short? Was I faithful to proclaim the glory of God in Christ? Did I speak Truth that edifies? Did I decrease so that the Lord may increase?

I know that the Lord has called me to this, to teach His Word. It is my passion, yet at times it is also my dread. I know how I fail. I know the times I teach out of my pride. I know my tendency to make it about me, me, me. I fear the responsibility of teaching, yet I am compelled to it. Despite my inadequacy and my failure, I cannot not do it. Paul's testimony is mine as well: the love of Christ compels me.

I often tell my fellow Bible students that they are evidence of God's grace to me. That He has called me to this is one thing; that they would come alongside, well, that's nothing but grace, God's amazing grace. How I pray I will be found faithful, that God would take my meager offering and use it for His glory and His kingdom. May God alone be glorified!

12 comments:

  1. Hey Lisa, it's good to have you back, and I'm glad your break was successful in its restoration (now we'll pray for the restoration of your family's skin!).

    I just wanted to encourage you to press on with teaching the Word of God to women - there is a whole generation getting "fluffy" instead of truth, just because of their gender (so sad). Like you, I teach a study (mine's Wed. a.m.) and, like your "Tuesday" post a while back, I find that Thursday is my "carefree mental break day." Something about the frantic and the joy of the study day does produce a "cool down" period I think... I'll pray for you as you see again God's faithfulness in His Word!!

    Thanks for blogging - in my life I have very little opportunity for much fellowship with older women (or even true peers) and I find comfort and fellowship through your electronic pages. May God continue to be glorified through your many spheres of influence!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are back. I SO know what you speak of...not teaching a Bible study, but just in my blogging, in my teaching of my children, in all my interactions, and any time I do witness I feel the same sort of things...may it be about you Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree w/ Liz...teaching truth is important. Read a great blog on this "How Free Are You" at www.thedailylily.com. You will be encouraged to press on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here through breath of life...

    What a great reflection on God using you in the lives of others. It is so easy to focus on the wrong things and lose sight of His plan due to ours.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good to see you back, Lisa! I was encouraged by your desire to be faithful in speaking and teaching the Truth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that your posts are so open and all about God's glory!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sure would love to sit in your Bible study girl!
    Love,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. The teachers who have the greatest impact are generally the ones who recognize that they should have the least.

    Christ IN YOU, the hope of glory!

    Teach on, sister!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are always learning even when we are the teacher. Even though you feel you fail, we all do on this earth, I love how your heart cry is to live for God and give Him the glory. God can work through that and I'm sure that the influence you have had you won't even realize this side of heaven.

    I so appreciate your heart and honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa, it is so great that you are faithful to the call on your life! I suspect teaching is a mixed bag sometimes, but it sounds like you have overcoem many of the things that trip people up i.e. numbers God will place all of the people He believe should be in your class and who could ask for a better roster :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so relate to this and you!

    What are you teaching?

    ReplyDelete
  12. "I know that the Lord has called me to this, to teach His Word. It is my passion, yet at times it is also my dread. I know how I fail. I know the times I teach out of my pride. I know my tendency to make it about me, me, me. I fear the responsibility of teaching, yet I am compelled to it. Despite my inadequacy and my failure, I cannot not do it. Paul's testimony is mine as well: the love of Christ compels me."

    AMEN!!! That describes me to the core. I have been having those same thoughts as I begin teaching a new study next Thursday. I couldn't stop even if I wanted to.
    I have a study on Tuesday mornings that I just "go to", and it feels good to not be in charge, yet it creates a deeper longing in me to teach.

    I echo the words of Jeremiah 20:9:

    ...his word is like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot.

    Kelli

    ReplyDelete