Monday, April 14, 2008

Yes, I'm still here

So I made a list of "Things I Did During My Blog Break." The list included but was not limited to the following:

1. Finished Hood by Stephen Lawhead. It's a retelling of the story of Robin Hood set in 16th century Wales. Thoroughly enjoyed it. My next amazon order will most definitely include Scarlet, the second book in the trilogy.

2. Scrubbed the baseboards in my den, kitchen and breakfast area. Love Magic Eraser! Not only that, but I cleaned my oven, washed the dining room curtains, cleaned kitchen cabinets, and so on. Yep, I was channeling my inner domestic diva. Only for a time, though, only for a time. This too shall pass.

4. Saw the David Crowder Band in concert and it was GREAT. My husband thought I was too old for a concert tee shirt but I got one anyway.

5. Wrote an article / letter for our women's ministry newsletter and it was as if I had never written anything in my life. It took me two days and then some.

6. Attended 6 soccer games in one day. 9 am to 7 pm. Sans sunscreen. And I am fried, as in sun-BURNT to a crisp and so are my husband and children. In my defense, it was a cool day and kind of cloudy, at least to begin with. Okay, you're right, it's no excuse. It's not like we don't own any sunscreen--I had actually just purchased four mega bottles of the continuous spray sunscreen at Sam's--we just didn't think to use it. Now we pay.

7. Received and read Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris. I will be posting my thoughts and review in the next few days, but the short of it is this: a MUST-read for teenagers and parents of teenagers. Though the book is aimed at this generation of young people, and I haven't been a teenager for 20 years, I found myself inspired and convicted by their challenge to live counterculturally.

So there you go. The seven kinds of boring of my life. This break has been much needed, vital and necessary even, and yet still I feel the effects of blog-block which precipitated the break to begin with. I won't even tell you how I've struggled just to throw out a post as inconsequential as this one! Believe it or not, but words, they are failing me! Surely like my domestic diva-ness, this blog block will pass, and soon...

9 comments:

  1. I missed you my blog friend but am g=so glad you enjoyed a break. The book you mentioned sounds very good. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back. I'm going to be starting Scarlet soon, after I finish Gentian Hill by Goudge...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're back and had a productive week. Sorry about the sunburns, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WELCOME BACK!! I missed you big time!

    So sorry about the sunburn, but anyone who is as disgustingly productive as you were somewhat deserves a little pain! (Just Kidding!) :-)

    I too am in the blog tour for Do Hard Things and LOVED it. And BTW, this post isn't inconsequential. I like hearing even the every day normal stuff. When every post is spiritual giant stuff, I get a little nervous and think you are perfect! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Lisa...I feel your pain. I get burned when I SAY "sun", let alone get out in it for that long. Having survived many burns myself, I am so, so sorry you're having to endure it.

    Glad you're back.

    P.S. - I love Magic Eraser, too. And I'm loving Cold Sassy Tree!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are back...but....what happened to #3?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back to your blog-world that I may be joining soon.... if I could only keep the courage!
    Just last night I was looking online at Do Hard Things! A sign? :-) Some would say so. Blog discussion, it could be.
    Hope the sunburn is soothed soon. At least it's warm enough to be out in the sun, there. Missing that, about now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Think I will have to get Do Hard Things. I am always sayign that to my boys. May your blog block be short lived!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have Do Hard Things ordered...hopefully it will be in soon! We are going to their conference this summer. We can't wait! Have you guys been?

    ReplyDelete