Friday, May 16, 2008

Fearless faithful female?

Today I am wearing a tee shirt that says: "fearless faithful female." My youngest took note of the message and said, "Mama, you're not fearless," with something of a chuckle.

When I protested, he maintained "There's stuff to be afraid of" and offered a list of that which strikes fear in the heart of an eight year old.

"The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I fear?" I countered with some semblance of confidence.

But he's right. I do fear. I called my husband yesterday in the throes of dread and anxiety, in tears over what might happen.

I was scared. I feared the worst--and don't we all? We don't fear the best outcome; our minds conjure up the worst possible scenario and there we dwell until we are nearly paralyzed in fright of all that might and could happen.

I don't know if what I fear will occur. It's still an unknown and completely out of my control, which sometimes is what scares us the most.

That which we fear the most may indeed come to pass. Or it may not. Either way, we can know that the Lord is a stronghold, a refuge, a safe place. Whatever comes, we need not fear because we can trust Him. He is sovereign. He is good. He will show Himself faithful and strong on our behalf.

14 comments:

  1. To not only know it in our minds but to feel it with our heart in those moments....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reminder! Often hard to put action to, but something we need reminded of daily nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate not being in control. The "not knowing" is what scares me most.

    Jill @ Who Could Ask for Anything More had a great post on this yesterday. I think her blog is jill-inc.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for visit my blog and commenting. And thank you, dear Melissa for the mention. You are so right. I try so very hard to be aware that my burdens are light compared to what others suffer. Thank you for this reminder and these wonderful words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well said Lisa...oh how I wish that I didn't fear, but the reality is that I do. I am not afraid because God is with me, but I do let my mind wander to the "what ifs" sometimes and that never goes well. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. pretty funny shirt - not one I could ever pull off!!! ; )

    I'm praying for the fears that are gripping you today. may the Lord be your peace whatever the outcome!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fearing the unknown and what is out of my control. . . .you hit the nail on the head! (As usual!)

    When will I learn, as David did, that even if I walk through death's shadowed valley, "I will fear no evil for THOU ART WITH ME."

    ReplyDelete
  8. we all have our anixety and fear's and the what if? and if we let it could all paralyzed our minds I know these for a fact I use to struggle with "what if" too much until one day God told me to "let it go and let me handle the what if's" I can't say I never fear anymore but I don't what if that much anymore.I found you through The Preacher's wife.may God bless you and keep you,marina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this post, Lisa. Very timely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful reminder. Battling fear is certainly about getting that head knowledge to become heart knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The fearless female knows faith. It's all about believing God.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The last paragraph sums it up! He is our stronghold...whom shall we fear?

    ReplyDelete