Thursday, May 22, 2008

Melancholy Mish Mash

Today I am melancholy. My husband would say I am always melancholy. Whatever my usual state, he is right: it is certainly more melancholy than merry on any given day. However, today it is more so (despite the fact that David C. won AI last night!)...

School is ending. Not that I'm sad about that. Someone recently made the statement that they assumed I was dreading the summer with the boys home. Quite the contrary, really. I will not miss packing lunch boxes and herding everyone out the door at 7:10. Nor will I long for the afternoon car line! I like having the boys home, really I do. I just wish they liked being home! And being home together!

No, I find myself melancholy because it's the end of something familiar. I'm no good with transition and next year? Big transition: four children in four schools, my oldest in high school. High.School. Have I told you I miss them being little?

In addition to my own (silly) melancholy (in comparison), my heart breaks for Steven Curtis Chapman and his family and his son. What a tragedy. How does one deal with such grief? And guilt? Only supernaturally. May God have mercy and may He show Himself strong on their behalf, granting them the peace that passes understanding before a watching world...

8 comments:

  1. I've been praying particularly for their teenager who was driving the vehicle...The God of all comfort...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Lisa. I have been heartsick all morning. I asked my husband to particularly pray for Stephen Curtis because, as a dad, he has to comfort his son in such a way as to help that young man through his grief. I'm not sure how the parents will freely grieve in the presence of their son. Oh, I pray for all of the fruit of the Sweet Spirit to flood their lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control.
    Bless their hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Flowerpot. How do they comfort their son and fully express their grief all at the same time? My heart breaks for the family, especially the son. Their oldest daughter was just engaged this weekend, and now the family will have to decide about planning a wedding so soon after a funeral. The only way to get through something like this is to let God carry you through!

    We've supported their adoption ministry for several years now. After seeing SCC in concert & hearing his testimony, we were so amazed by what God has done in the life of this family. I honestly feel they will be strong witnesses for Him through this.

    Sorry you are blue today, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am right there with you on packing those lunches. I am so sick of turkey sandwiches and baggies and all the rest of it.

    But in the news that really matters, my heart is so so heavy for the Chapmans today. I have a link to the blog that SCC's manager has set up. What a precious video on there of Maria and her dad playing around while washing dishes one night. Not being a famous Grammy award winner. Just a daddy and his girl having fun. My heart hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard abuot the Chapman's tragedy. Been praying. I, being a home schooler, am always with my boys all day long. Maybe it is because they do that all the time that they get a long so well or mabye I am just blessed. But I enjoy the relaxation of summer time and not "doing school" and getting little chores around the house done. I can only imagine what a blessing it is to let them sleep in and not rush around in the morning. That is a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found out this news only a few hours ago and have been just grief stricken for the family. This was a beautifully written post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Flowerpot. How do they comfort their son and fully express their grief all at the same time? My heart breaks for the family, especially the son. Their oldest daughter was just engaged this weekend, and now the family will have to decide about planning a wedding so soon after a funeral. The only way to get through something like this is to let God carry you through!

    We've supported their adoption ministry for several years now. After seeing SCC in concert & hearing his testimony, we were so amazed by what God has done in the life of this family. I honestly feel they will be strong witnesses for Him through this.

    Sorry you are blue today, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, Lisa. I have been heartsick all morning. I asked my husband to particularly pray for Stephen Curtis because, as a dad, he has to comfort his son in such a way as to help that young man through his grief. I'm not sure how the parents will freely grieve in the presence of their son. Oh, I pray for all of the fruit of the Sweet Spirit to flood their lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control.
    Bless their hearts!

    ReplyDelete