Friday, May 30, 2008

Ouch

From John Piper's What Jesus Demands From the World:

Boasting is the response of pride to success. Self-pity is the response of pride to suffering. Boasting says, "I deserve admiration because I have achieved so much." Self-pity says, "I deserve admiration because I have sacrificed so much." Boasting is the voice of pride in the heart of the strong. Self-pity is the voice of pride in the heart of the weak. Boasting sounds self-sufficient. Self-pity sounds self-sacrificing. The reason self-pity does not look like pride is that it appears to be needy. But the need arises from a wounded ego, and the desire is not really for others to see them as helpless but as heroes. The need that self-pity feels does not come from a sense of unworthiness but from a sense of unrecognized worthiness. It is the response of unapplauded pride.

9 comments:

  1. I recently did a Bible study on "Pride" where I realized that feelings of inadequacy or self-loathing are prideful as well as arrogance or boasting. For us to feel inadequate or a failure we are considering our abilities, our successes and limiting ourselves to them. We are putting ourselves above what the Bible tells us God can do through us, or in our lives. IT was very eyeopening to me. Although I admit I still struggle daily with these feelings of inadequacy, even now that I know it means I am limiting God to my own abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that's pretty much a 2x4 whack to the head sort of ouch.

    I didn't comment this past week on your archive posts, but as they did the first time, they edified the second time. Glad you made it through May-hem, and now you can enjoy some "free" time.

    It's all relative, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch, ouch. I agree with Elle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I needed THAT today! God's timing. Your obedience. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I added that quote to my list the first time I read it in the book, and I may have even posted it. It's definitely in the big-time ouch category. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent. I have seen this in my mom's struggles with depression and self-abasement. I finally realized it was still a form of pride. That last bit about the unrecognized and unapplauded is very insightful. That explains a lot, knowing my grandmother (and subsequently the trickle down effect of how I was raised.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, that's pretty much a 2x4 whack to the head sort of ouch.

    I didn't comment this past week on your archive posts, but as they did the first time, they edified the second time. Glad you made it through May-hem, and now you can enjoy some "free" time.

    It's all relative, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete