Friday, May 23, 2008

Things rare and somber

Excepting Bible study for me this past Monday and church for the whole family on Wednesday, we've been home every night this week, a rare occurrence to say the least. Around 6:30 I begin to get a little restless, wondering who I've forgotten and where I'm supposed to be. It is strange to be home, but I think we can get used to it.

Yesterday I began reading Gilead, Marilynne Robinson's Pulitzer prize winning novel that tells the story of John Ames, an aging Congreationalist minister, who reflects on his life in an attempt to preserve a legacy for his young son. It is his voice and his memoir. The book begins with the words, "I told you last night that I might be gone sometime, and you said, Where, and I said, to be with the Good Lord, and you said, Why, and I said, Because I'm old, and you said, I don't think you're old." It is a somber, quiet read with beautiful, simple prose. I'm enjoying it, though it is about a man facing his own mortality as he grieves those he will soon leave behind. It is not a book to be devoured, as I am often prone to do when I stumble upon an exceptionally good read; rather it is book to be read slowly and savored. Sometimes I rush through a story and miss the beauty of the words themselves.

Yes, I am still melancholy.

Like you, I continue to be heartsick over the Chapman's loss. I cannot imagine their grief as they mourn their daughter; likewise, to see your son under the weight of such guilt...well, I'm not sure I could bear it. It is truly a tragedy. I thank God they do not grieve without hope. He is the sovereign God of all comfort; may they know Him as such and may His sustaining presence be their testimony...

On that rather sad note, I'm giving you a heads up that I will be on blog break this next week. It's the last week of school and all you public school moms know exactly what that entails. Linda of Mocha with has dubbed this month May-hem and right she is. I will spend my blog vacation driving all over town, attending various and sundry awards programs and meetings, and standing in line for early check out. Fun times, indeed.

Now that blogger allows advance posting, I hope to have some long lost (and no doubt long forgotten) posts from the Lisa writes archives for you to revisit in my absence.

Until then...

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort...

2 Cor. 1:3

7 comments:

  1. I just did the last week of school (yesterday was the last day), so I know what you're talking about. ahhhh. Today is what we in our family call a "lazy day." Have fun in the chaos, charge you camera battery and live in the moment - this passing of an age happens SO fast. PinkGirl is no longer in 1st grade. FavoriteSon will be 13 in just a few weeks. I'm so GLAD I'm not missing it.

    We are praying for the Chapman family. Steven was supposed to be in Orlando this weekend, performing at the annual Zellwood Sweet Corn festival and Michael W. Smith is filling in for him. (http://zradio.org/)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're praying for the Chapman family, too. I can't imagine what all of them but his son, especially, are suffering. May God comfort them all with His mercy and peace.

    I'm praying for you, too, friend. I know what it is to be melancholy - more often than not, it seems. We still have another two weeks of school, I feel your pain there.

    I enjoyed Gilead when I read it, by the way, but I find I don't remember much of it now. Maybe I should read it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am right with you sister...grieving, melancholy, and ready for the end of the school year madness to end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your vacation! I look forward to reading "The Best of Lisa," because that's some good stuff right there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your break. And happy last week of school.

    I think we'll all enjoy some of your past favorite posts.

    Sweet Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just did the last week of school (yesterday was the last day), so I know what you're talking about. ahhhh. Today is what we in our family call a "lazy day." Have fun in the chaos, charge you camera battery and live in the moment - this passing of an age happens SO fast. PinkGirl is no longer in 1st grade. FavoriteSon will be 13 in just a few weeks. I'm so GLAD I'm not missing it.

    We are praying for the Chapman family. Steven was supposed to be in Orlando this weekend, performing at the annual Zellwood Sweet Corn festival and Michael W. Smith is filling in for him. (http://zradio.org/)

    ReplyDelete