Tuesday, May 27, 2008

To rescue the perishing

Several months ago while sitting in traffic headed to the elementary school, I witnessed a car wreck. Actually, to be clear, I witnessed the aftereffects of a car wreck.

I did not actually see the two vehicles collide, but I did see a Jeep Cherokee go flying in the air, hit the ground on its nose and roll over, finally landing upright. It was amazing, like something straight off the track at a NASCAR race.

Immediately people pulled over, getting out of their cars, many dialing cell phones. One woman in particular caught my attention. Parking her vehicle on the other side of the road from where the Jeep Cherokee had "landed," she leapt out of her car and ran--not jogging, not walking quickly, but running as fast and as hard as she could--across four lanes of traffic to get to the driver of the Jeep.

I can only presume she was some sort of trained medical personnel, and with an urgency equated with a life or death situation, she ran to the rescue.

Now, from my vantage point, I could see the driver shaking his head and moving around. He was no doubt shaken up, but certainly not in grave danger. But the woman hurtling herself across four lanes of traffic could not know for sure. All she knew is he could be hurt and she could help.

She could have easily reasoned away her motivation to be of use. "Let someone else go," she could've said to herself. "Someone who knows more should go. An ambulance driver--he's paid to save people. This isn't exactly in my job description. Besides, I'm in a hurry and I might be late for work. I might get dirty."

Yet she went. It wasn't convenient and it surely wasn't her preference--I mean, who wants to be seen running across the highway at its busiest time of day? She could have used any number of excuses and no one would have ever known. But instead, she ran.

What an example she is to me! Now, I could offer nothing in this present circumstance but throwing up (especially should there be blood) or offering to dial 911. The latter had been taken care of and the former would be of little help.

Yet spiritually, there are throes of people around me in very real life or death situations. It is the difference between eternal life or eternal hell. Am I prompted to rescue those who could be perishing? To run with urgency? Even if it means darting across traffic and other opposition and inconvenience?

Or am I content to rationalize away my involvement with any number of excuses?

Lord, give me a sense of urgency, an eternal perspective, a compassion for the dying around me who are lost without You. Let me see with Your eyes!

Originally posted in September, 2006

6 comments:

  1. Good post. Where does my commitment lie? How fast do I find my run when I knowingly witness the life-threatening crash of others?

    Much to think about.

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. So challenging and so good. You are right on, sister. We desperately need to feel that urgency for the souls around us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you reposted this. Beautifully written

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Great post. Great story...great application. How neat! We need to have a heart that loves what God loves what God loves and hate what God hates...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is a convicting truth! Very challenging. Thanks for reposting it.

    ReplyDelete