Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Today

Today I take a mini vacation...of sorts. Meaning today is more like a Tuesday than a Wednesday.

(Today is Wednesday, right?)

Today I dreamed about What I Want To Be When I Grow Up.

Today I remember I am a grown up and I wonder if it's too late to dream.

Today I do a little research and realize that accomplishing dreams--this dream, at any rate--requires discipline and diligence and grit and grace. And no small measure of talent, which I'm not sure I have in any measure.

Today I see my laziness, my tendency to squander time rather than redeem it, my disorganization and my avoidance of all things difficult and challenging.

Today I wonder why we place such stock in dream accomplishment. Is it not enough to live an "ordinary" life? Why must everything be big? Is there not value in the small?

Today I feel small.

9 comments:

  1. "...talent, which I'm not sure I have in any measure."

    Girl, you are dripping with the gift of written expression and a talent for drawing others to the heart of God. You may feel small, but you are a giant because of the God Who resides in & works through you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's lots of value in the small, friend. I know you & I have felt much the same way on this subject. This week's chapter of The Excellent Wife has convicted me on this point.

    For what it's worth, I echo Linda...you are very talented.

    Praying He gives you the desires of your heart...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, your influence extends farther than you think. Your writing has inspired me, encouraged me, humbled me, made me laugh, and most of all, reminded me of God's grace - again and again.

    I remember you often as I pour my coffee from my cool coffee maker. (Thanks friend!)

    p.s. remember. small is tall
    (http://pragmaticcompendium.wordpress.com/2008/04/24/small-is-tall/)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right there with you.

    Sometimes, it's good to feel small.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You may feel small, but you make a big difference. Truly, your writing is amazing and I feel blessed each time I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know that feeling well. But, sometimes, I think it is a good place to be...a place where I am dependent only on my God and not on my own skills or abilities.

    Your blog blesses me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who defines small?

    We serve a God who's HUGE. He'll take even the widow's mite and do with it what He will. Don't look down on your gift or your calling, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm, interesting and challenging thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's lots of value in the small, friend. I know you & I have felt much the same way on this subject. This week's chapter of The Excellent Wife has convicted me on this point.

    For what it's worth, I echo Linda...you are very talented.

    Praying He gives you the desires of your heart...

    ReplyDelete