Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Various and sundry thoughts on a rainy Wednesday morning



Angela at Becoming Me has honored me with the Excellent Award! If you are not reading Angela's blog, you should be. She writes with honesty, humility, and true talent--an Excellent blog well deserving of such distinction! Her series on Post Partum Depression was fantastic. Thanks, Angela!

***********

I've thought of another six word memoir:

She rarely finishes what she begins.

It's true. I could give you a laundry list of all the various projects once begun but not yet completed. However, there is a limit to my self revelation as I fear your judgment. Suffice it to say, the list would be long and varied. Very long.

Though I did clean the dining room yesterday (I know you were wondering). I did not, however, venture into the disaster area known as my kids' room. After all, tomorrow is another day.

***********

Today I saw a young mom sitting on her porch swing. It reminded me of another young mom--me--who spent many hours out on her front porch swinging with her baby--my number one son. As an infant he would lay on a pillow as we swung (or is it "lie"?). When he could sit up, he would stick his little legs under the arm rest and grasp the chains (while I grasped tightly to the back of his shirt). Could it be fourteen years ago?

***********

Speaking of swinging and little boys, my friend afforded me the opportunity Saturday morning to do something I once spent much of my time doing yet haven't in a long, long time: push a little boy in a swing in the backyard. "Higher and higher!" he would cry and I would oblige. She thought I was doing her a favor, but I think the pleasure was all mine. Thanks, friend!

***********

A model of a castle, a report on King Arthur, a power point on the Grand Canyon, a poster and power point on Pascal as well as a "replica" of a Pascaline (did you know Pascal invented the calculator?), money for sno cones and field day tee shirts, music program, soccer banquet, sending a breakfast item for the teachers--all this in ONE WEEK! Not to mention the "usual" of basketball practice, soccer practice, church, and yes, karate.

I hate the end of school. I am SO ready to be put out of my misery, at least for the summer!

***********

I've been thinking of Ps. 63:3,

"Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you."

The love of God, better than life itself. God's love so precious to me that I count it as better than my life! Can this be my testimony? Should the love of God in Christ be placed on one side of the scale and the whole of my life on the other--not just my living and breathing life but my husband, children, family, home, ministry--where would the balance fall?

***********

In her blog post linked above, Angela describes her surprise in discovering a world wide web of friends and sisters here in blog world. How true it is. One blog buddy told me in an email that she thought we would be good friends if given the opportunity in real life. "Real" or "virtual" we are friends indeed, she and I, and the rest of you who venture this way with a kind word or encouraging comment. As I contemplate the friends that God has sent my way in the course of my life, both in the real world and in the web world, I am profoundly grateful for each of you! Some of you I know by face and voice, some of you I recognize through your words and avatar; but all of you encourage me in the faith!

Happy Wednesday, my friends!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Lisa for saying that about E! He told me that afternoon that he had "so much fun with N's mom at his house". I appreciate your friendship more than you know. I'm just sorry about the thing Randy had to do that he had not done in a while on Sunday. I guess that was E's gift to him!!! HAHA.

    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  2. His love...better than life! So very true. Congrats on the award. You are deserving. Happy Wednesday to you too, enjoy your busy week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is definitely Excellent! One of my favorite places to visit!

    I hear you on the "Mayhem"! It's beyond crazy.

    You are an encouragement to me, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post and not only because of your kind words to me. I loved the little vignettes. I agree with Linda...you are an encouragement

    ReplyDelete