Thursday, June 19, 2008

I have set my bow in the cloud

Last night as we were driving home from church, my mind was troubled and my heart heavy. As I stewed and worried, I rehearsed the following verses over and over in my mind:

Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainhearted... (Heb. 12:3)

and

...contend for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints. (Jude 3)

Consider Jesus, His sacrifice encouraging me against weariness. Contend, contend earnestly the NKJV tells us, holding fast to the Truth of the gospel.

These truths I rehearsed to myself, but my dismay remained great.

As we pulled into the driveway, we noticed a rainbow painting the sky. A rainbow, the sign of God's covenant with Noah...

And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant that I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations: I have set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth. When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds, I will remember my covenant that is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh..." (Gen. 9:12-15)

A rainbow, the sign given Noah that his God would be faithful to keep His promises. It was a beautiful visual to remind Noah to not grow weary and lose heart, but instead to consider Him who set the bow in the sky...and know that He will remember. He is sovereign and He is good and He will do just as He promised.

Noah's hope is mine as well. I see His bow in the sky, obscured somewhat by the clouds of my doubt, but it is there just the same. More importantly, I see His promises in His Word and I hope. I consider Jesus Christ, in Whom all the promises of God are Yes and Amen, and I need not grow weary nor lose heart. Christ in me, the hope of glory.

My God is sovereign and He is good. Trusting in Him to work all things for our good and His glory--even this thing that weighs on my heart--does not render me passive. Rather, I am moved to persevere, anxious and eager for the glory of God to be revealed...

And lest you think I am more than a conqueror in this...last night I protested, "It's just not fun." And it's not. I must (nearly constantly) hand it over to Him, resting... trusting... hoping... believing... knowing...



2 comments:

  1. Some days I go around repeating to myself over and over,"Christ in me the hope of glory!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had the same thought echoing through my mind lately. "But it's not fun!" And I so want to be having fun instead of dealing with certain issues.

    Thanks for the reminders and encouragement! This post was just what I needed to read in the moment.

    ReplyDelete