Monday, June 09, 2008

A Monday Mish Mash of All Things Trivial

I did not want to get up this morning. Instead I wanted to lay (lie?) in the bed, all day if I could, and read, all day if I could.

Remember when I told you my next amazon order would include Stephen Lawhead's Scarlet, the second in the King Raven trilogy? I did; it came late last week and it is good. Really good. Better than Hood, the first in the series. Or at least I think so. Hence the temptation to lie (lay?) in bed and read, all day if I could.

But I did get up. Things to do, responsibilities to fulfill; I am the mom, after all.

I took my son to basketball practice this morning and at 7:45 am--in the MORNING--the temperature display in my van read EIGHTY ONE degrees. Eighty one, at 7:45; that's not just hot, it's ridiculous.

It was a full weekend. Of course, we don't really know any other kind. My mother in law visited, so you can imagine the frantic whirlwind of semi-cleaning that occured prior to her arrival. My second son had basketball team camp, playing seven games in three days, one of which was a (literal) knock-down, drag-out fight to the last second. We won. It was exciting.

Have I told you how much I enjoy watching my boy play? What he lacks in skill, he makes up for in determination. He is a competitor, and fiercely so. Don't get me wrong, he has skill, but it is his drive and determination that inspire me.

We will take him next week to a soccer camp. It will be overnight, in another state, for five days. He will stay in a dorm with a buddy of his. They will enjoy endure ten hours of soccer a day, or so the website says. The soccer he can handle; I worry about him losing his room key. And yeah, I will miss him.

Yesterday was a good day at church. Our Sunday school lesson sparked an open and honest discussion about sharing our faith. "Let's quit warming the pews and get out there in the world and do something," my good friend challenged us. Conviction, it sure does sting.

During the church service I shared a pew with my mother in law, my husband, and a family who is unchurched and, most likely, unsaved. My husband has struck up a friendship of sorts with this man, has shared the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ with him, and picked him and his children up last night to bring them back to church. Our pastor was out of town, but they heard the Truth proclaimed in power from the pulpit all the same. May the Lord reap a harvest in the life of this man and his wife and family!

So, there you have it. A Monday mish mash to be sure. All things trivial indeed. For those of you actually reading and interested, I am now about to tackle the laundry. Duty calls. I am the mom, after all.

10 comments:

  1. I understand the rush of cleaning...my MIL is coming Friday and I'm trying to decide how to get it all done!

    I know you'll miss your boy. I bet he's going to have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! IT's good to have some added motivation to clean once in a while :0)
    Hope a lot of seeds were planted in your husbands friends heart and mind and that God will remove the veil for him...
    I'm going to start Scarlet soon too. So you think it's better than Hood. Now we have to wait around for #3...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go camping at Rocky Mountain National Park and you won't have to worry about it being 81 degrees at 7:45 a.m. . . .

    I definitely relate to the struggle not to while away the hours reading. Only I tend to want to sit up all night...

    Hope your guy has a great and safe camp next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really really hot here too...it was 80 at 7:30 AM. Hmmm...might have to check out that book series. Sounds good. I like to escape in a good novel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love "I am the Mom"!

    Go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like a busy, but good weekend. My son is going to basketball camp next week for the first time. He is only 6, so it is day camp. I was just thinking this morning that I am not looking forward to having him there at 7:30 A.M. But like you said, I am the mom, so I will have to get up and get going!

    Thanks for visiting my blog. I look forward to working with you on 5M4B!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to lie and lay all day if I could. This heat's enough to send me into a constant posture of laying and lying and just generally a state of nothingness. Be blessed in your mish/mash. I, for one, am trying to make sense of mine.

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many people I know tend to slow down in the summer. We seem to be speeding up! Fragmented time, fragmented thoughts.

    I would LOVE to get lost in a fiction book - but I refuse to read a series until they are all complete - I can't take the wait for the next book! (is this series complete?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to lie and lay all day if I could. This heat's enough to send me into a constant posture of laying and lying and just generally a state of nothingness. Be blessed in your mish/mash. I, for one, am trying to make sense of mine.

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like a busy, but good weekend. My son is going to basketball camp next week for the first time. He is only 6, so it is day camp. I was just thinking this morning that I am not looking forward to having him there at 7:30 A.M. But like you said, I am the mom, so I will have to get up and get going!

    Thanks for visiting my blog. I look forward to working with you on 5M4B!

    ReplyDelete