Friday, June 06, 2008

On sofas and dreams

Today I saw another sofa like the one mentioned here, this time on the side of the road to be picked up for TRASH!

When my husband and I married, we had very little furniture between us: an old iron bed my mom had retrieved from the barn at my great aunt's and painted, a mattress set my parents paid like $99 for when I went off to graduate school, a couple of dressers, and a pink sofa we purchased from a friend for $50. Yes, pink. Actually, I think it was called mauve. Mauve and country blue were the decorator colors du jour, can you believe it?

As newlyweds with not only very little furniture, but also very little spending money, one of our favorite "dates" was going to eat Mexican food, especially if I had scored a buy-one-entree-get-one free coupon on the back of my grocery receipt. After eating, we would usually go to Sam's and window shop. Or go to the mall and window shop. Or, my favorite, go to a furniture store and, you guessed it, window shop.

In the Sears store in the mall, at the top of the escalator, was the sofa of my dreams. Any opportunity I had to go to the mall, I would go visit "my sofa." It was my dearest wish upon which all my hopes resided: to one day own this piece of furniture beauty extraordinaire. I never did. At some point, my then sister-in-law gave us her old sofa and love seat (the love seat I still have today), and out went the pink, in came the hand-me-downs, and the dream sofa? Gone as so many dreams go.

Today I was driving down the highway en route to meet my husband for lunch. I passed a used furniture / junk store and what do you think was out front, there among the baby cribs and dinette sets? You got it: the sofa and loveseat of my newlywed dreams. And let me tell you one thing: they were ugly. As in hideous. No way, no how would I ever allow something that awful in my home!

And isn't that the way it goes? The things we think we want out of this life aren't really what we wanted after all.

That sofa and love seat remind me of the transitory nature of the things of this world. Sure, I no longer linger in Sears, dreaming over a certain, albeit ugly, sofa. But how fickle is my heart, yearning after that which will never last and will only disappoint, and in the end, prove to be nothing at all like I'd hoped.

May I learn to store up treasures in heaven, setting my heart on things unseen, seeking after Jesus, the true Treasure of this life. And the next. For where my treasure is, there my heart will be also.


Originally posted, April 2007

22 comments:

  1. Oh, I can relate to this! How many things were just "it" and now I'm horrified. (Hairstyles come to mind, among others!)

    What a great reminder to set our minds on things above!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I thought you were going to say you screeched to a stop and ran right in and bought it. Too funny.

    This was such a great post though and a real truth. We really do need to put our hearts onto the things of God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You story made me smile. I have been there more than once in all sorts of ways. God molds and shapes, does he not?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally get this Lisa. Totally! Thank you for writing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was expecting you to say that you bought it also. Nice twist in the story and, again, God makes another good point.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should see my sofa! I saw it recently on one of HGTV's makeover shows. There they were, ridiculing my couch of 11 years.

    Oh well, it's survived 4 kids and will have to last a little longer. There's been a lot of life lived on my outdated couches. Wouldn't trade the memories for anything.

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since I've spent so much time recently cleaning out the clutter, I can relate. I've found so many things I bought at one time or another, which have been relegated to the attic because I tired of them. I guess that's the main reason I'm surrounding myself with family treasures, instead of the latest "must-have" items, now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the analogy. Just today I was looking at my kitchen that is filled with apples...and thinking that I needed to switch to pottery. And, oh, I am SO glad that the days of country blue and mauve are over!!

    Enjoyed my visit. I hope to be back...after all, we Moms of four boys need to stick together.

    :-) Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. My pastor likes to say "in 60 years everything you own will either be in a landfill, or owned by someone else". He is so right, and your post is so true. Why do we as humans hold on to THINGS so tightly??? I find myself having to learn this lesson over and over again, and even passing this stinking thinking onto my children. Thank you for the reminder, still praying with kingdom thoughts,amy thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this post and the meaning you found. "Stuff" is so temporary.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well said, Sister.

    Glad I stopped to visit via Lysa' blog.

    Many blessings,

    Rena Gunther

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome post--nice to meet you via Lysa's link list. Oh, the things that we seek for thinking they will make us happy... God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderfully written~ It totally reminds us God's dreams for our life are not always our dreams, and His ways are higher than our ways. How sad that we waste so much time longing for some things that are never meant to be ours. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I, too, am coming by from Lysa's!

    Terrific post! :)
    God has been speaking to my heart recently about where I am seeking my peace and joy from...people, things, etc. Anything other than Him will never satisfy! Thanks for the reminder to set our minds on things above!

    Blessings,
    K

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lisa, I'm visiting from Lysa's blog!

    Oh how often the things we think will bring us the greatest pleasure turn out to be disappointments. God is the only One who will never let us down.

    Beautiful post.
    Blessings,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I, too, am visiting from Lysa's blog. I can look back at the things I thought were treasures at the time...isn't it great how God grows us?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Always a great reminder. Thanks for sharing and encouraging! :-) Congratulations on being chosen by Lysa! God is SO good. Sweet blessings, Amy in OR

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful illustration...I have 20-20 eyesight when I look at my past and see the things..the relationships I desired...and am now so thankful I never 'grasped' a lot of them...I see it as God's Presence all along the journey delivering me...I still bear the scars of those I did attain to that were not part of His plan...and I give those to Him to shine for His glory...
    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wahooo!!! My friend Lisa made the Lysa list! This is a wonderful post girlfriend...So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wahooo!!! My friend Lisa made the Lysa list! This is a wonderful post girlfriend...So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well said, Sister.

    Glad I stopped to visit via Lysa' blog.

    Many blessings,

    Rena Gunther

    ReplyDelete
  22. Since I've spent so much time recently cleaning out the clutter, I can relate. I've found so many things I bought at one time or another, which have been relegated to the attic because I tired of them. I guess that's the main reason I'm surrounding myself with family treasures, instead of the latest "must-have" items, now.

    ReplyDelete