Thursday, June 19, 2008

Spring Reading Thing 2008--it's a wrap!


Well, we have come to the end of Spring Reading Thing 2008 hosted by Katrina of Callapidder Days! The rules were simple: participants posted a list of titles they planned to read this spring and then they read! Now, at the end of the challenge, each participant posts a review of sorts on which books were read, which ones weren't, which were liked and which we could've done without.

My reading goals included the following titles, most of which were already in a holding pattern on my bookcase...

Titles from my original list that I completed:
On Writing Well, by William Zinsser
What Happens When Women Say Yes to God, by Lysa Terkeurst

Titles from my original list that I am currently reading:
What Jesus Demands of the World, by John Piper
The Excellent Wife, by Martha Peace

Titles from my original list still unread (so far):
Feminine Appeal, by Carolyn Mahaney
The Discipline of Spiritual Discernment, by Tim Challies
The Elements of Style, by Strunk and White
The Truth War, by John MacArthur

Titles I completed that were not on my original list:
Scarlet by Stephen Lawhead
Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
Winter Haven by Athol Dickson
The Presence of a Hidden God by D. James Kennedy
John Adams by David McCollough (currently reading)

Katrina has asked us to do a recap of sorts in answer to the following questions:

Did you finish all the books you had planned to read? If not, why?
No. Perhaps I was a little too ambitious! I went through a reading slump, a period of several weeks where I wasn't reading anything.

Do you think the challenge helped you read more? Or maybe helped you read books you otherwise wouldn't have?
I wish I had read more!

What was your favorite book you read this spring? Least favorite?
I loved Scarlet, as you already know if you read my post last week. I also learned a lot from On Writing Well, and in fact would certainly benefit from another perusal.

Did you discover any new authors or genres that you now love?
I thoroughly enjoyed Stephen Lawhead's Hood and Scarlet, my first time to read any of his novels. I also find John Adams (biography) very interesting.

What did you learn about your reading habits or interests?
Reading slumps are no fun.

Are you interested in another "Fall Into Reading" challenge this fall?
Yes! Count me in!

Head over to Katrina's to see others' recaps of their Spring Reading Thing experiences!


6 comments:

  1. I agree about the slumps. I'm always reading now, but before I started my review column (and before Katrina had her first challenge 2 years ago), I would either be reading voraciously, or nothing--for months.

    They are no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your reading slump, Lisa. I run into one of those every once in a while and they make me feel all out-of-sorts.

    I've looked at that Challies book that you have on your list. I hope you'll share your thoughts once you read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I have those slumps,too. Did you enjoy Gilead? I read Housekeeping by Robinson, and found it a bit odd. I enjoyed my visit to your blog...you are one brave woman to tackle the dentist and the barber shop in one day! I have 4 boys, too. When we go to the barber shop with all of them and dh in tow, we practically have to take out a loan to pay for it lol! Thanks for sharing your challenge results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, I get reading slumps too! I have Feminine Appeal sitting on my bedside table to be read. I also tried Gilead on several occasions but found it really hard to get into. Maybe I should try again. Like you I am reading The Excellent Wife with Leslie at Lux Venit - it's been great reading it together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read 1776 by McCollough and was pleasantly surprised. I may have to try John Adams as well! I am impressed by how many nonfiction titles you read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those slumps are a big bummer! I've actually had them a time or two, but fortunately not in this challenge.

    I'm looking forward to viewing Scarlet. And I've picked up and put down Gilead several times. I think I just need to read it to get it out of my system...

    ReplyDelete