Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Children's Classics--Newbery Medalists

Children's Classics

This month for our Children's Classics Carnival over at 5 Minutes for Books we're focusing on Newbery Medal winners. In case you didn't know, the Newbery Medal is given each year to the most distinguished children' book for the previous year. You can see all the medalists since its inception in 1921 here. For the carnival, our managing editor Jennifer has asked us to recommend one (or more) of our favorite Newbery medalists.

One of my all time favorite books as a young girl was The Witch of Blackbird Pond, the 1959 Newbery medalist. In this story, Kit Tyler, a recently orphaned teenager, sails from Barbados to New England to live with her relatives in the colonial Connecticut. Unconventional and somewhat rebellious, Kit befriends a Quaker woman suspected to be a witch. Colonial politics, witch hunts, and romance made this the kind of novel I read over and over and over again. I may just have to pick it up once more, though the pages of my copy are yellowed and the binding bent.

Check out other Newbery recommendations (and lots of other good book reviews and stuff) at 5 Minutes for Books. Next month in our Children's Classics Carnival we'll be celebrating Caldecott winners, books honored for their illustrations.

6 comments:

  1. Amanda started to read that, but then put it down. Romance?? Maybe that's just as well. I don't remember the story, but had just remembered that I liked it. We had gotten it at the library before our trip to Salem, MA this summer.

    She's reading the Sign of the Beaver in school by the same author right now, so I think she'll want to read Blackbird Pond sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good story. I need to pull it off our shelf and have my older daughter read it.
    I do not remember romance though...will have to re-read this book. I did enjoy it as a read aloud to my oldest son several, several, several years back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to try this again as an adult. I remember getting this with The Bronze Bow one year for Christmas. For some reason they never captured my attention. I think I read this one; I don't think I ever did read The Bronze Bow.

    That was during the time in my life when I was inhaling the Little House books! LOL

    My favorite Newbery winner when I was young was From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. This has been so fun to see all of the Newbery favorites that people have shared.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to read this back in high school, but had totally forgotten about it - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. This has been so fun to see all of the Newbery favorites that people have shared.

    ReplyDelete