Wednesday, October 08, 2008

From grouchy to grateful

I'm supposed to be cleaning.

I'm not.

I hate cleaning house.

And while we're at it, I will tell you I had to go to the dentist this morning and I hate going to the dentist. It was raining and I hate going out in the rain. I also had to run by WalMart and I hate going to WalMart.

It's really tempting to indulge the grouch within, but in His kindness to me the Spirit whispers the following:

Whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. (Col. 3:17)

So, I will get up from the computer and finish cleaning house, in the name of the Lord Jesus. I will thank Him for my home and my family and the richness of our life together that often leaves a mess behind, a mess that is my privilege to clean, as unto the Lord.

I will also be grateful for dentists and fillings. I will thank the Lord for the rain and for the resources to buy shampoo at WalMart. And as I do, grouchiness gives way to peace. It's beyond my understanding, but gratitude trumps grouchy every time.

12 comments:

  1. Well, seeing as how I was just sitting down on the computer in an effort to NOT clean my house, this wasn't exactly what I wanted to read. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for putting things in perspective for us...though I'm on the computer avoiding things I'm not fond of either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good, but um, way too convicting! LOL Great reminder that we often need to act our way into a feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankful for fillings??? Ok, ok, I guess if you say it's better than getting a deeper hole in your tooth that leads to decay, etc. That would make me thankful for a filling then too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, I am so glad you are back to blogging. Your honesty is a blessing. There are days I don't want to get up either, especially if something needs cleaning. :)
    Well nap time is over...
    Laurie B. in TN :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so blessed by your post! I'm off to love on my kids, finish putting away a bunch of junk, and fold laundry. Ugh... I mean, Thank you God for all your blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I woke up with a bad case of the grouchies this morning too. I hate being so busy and overwhelmed. Thanks for a little kick in the pants. Just what a needed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Consider it all joy whenever you face 'stuff you don't like to do'. (Paraphrased)

    God has such a gentle way of reminding us that we are truly blessed:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just sat down to write a post called The Grouch---about me---and then I read this...God is so good...I'm still gonna write that post...but now am looking for a new title

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's all in the perspective isn't it. I will remember this the next time I have to do something I don't like to or want to.l

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so true! Tozer writes, "The heart that is constantly overflowing with gratitude will be safe from those attacks of resentfulness and gloom that bother so many persons." Such a wonderful and powerful reminder for my life going into the Thanksgiving season.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The summer I was a camp counselor, my motto for my cabin was, "Attitude is everything." I think God was chucling as He planted those seeds.

    ReplyDelete