Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Status Report, December

Sitting...at my dining room table surrounded by gifts to be wrapped, cards to be signed and addressed, books to be reviewed, more books to be read (then reviewed), and various and sundry other items needing to be put away, put up or put in its place.

Drinking...a Coke. It's the real thing, sugar and caffeine both, just the way I like it.

Enjoying...my Christmas tree. Yes, we finally put it up Friday (we being me and my parents). I don't know why I dread it so bad each year; pre lit trees are the best and I really love my (vast) collection of ornaments--and I do mean vast. With the ornaments my mom has given me over the years and continues to give to not just to me, but to my husband and my boys as well, plus the ones the boys have made at school, I honestly don't think there's an empty limb on the tree! It's a hodge podge and that's just the way I like it!

Feeling badly...for my two boys with December birthdays. They can't even get any press here on the blog! My number three boy's big day was Thursday, which also happened to feature two basketball games, a meeting I couldn't miss, and my husband's company Christmas party. We managed to have a twenty minute window for gift opening but never got around to cake and candles. Bless his heart, at least his grandparents were here! My number four boy had a somewhat better birthday Sunday; at least we were all together for the gifts and cake!

Reading...nothing at all. Really. Not even blogs (I won't even tell you the grand total of unread posts currently stacked up in my reader). I am ready for the hustle and bustle to slow down to a creep and a crawl so I can catch up! The week after Christmas is generally a time I do my best binge reading.

Looking forward to...December 25th. For the usual reasons but mainly because I can then take a deep breath and know it is all...finally...over.

Weary...of the shopping. Yes, I know today is the 16th and no, I haven't finished shopping. I'm afraid I've hit a wall. Any recommendations for eleven and nine year old boys who recently celebrated birthdays complete with gifts?

Loving...this pumpkin bread recipe (except I make it without the raisins and walnuts). YUM-my!

Beginning...to read the Bible through in a year using the Discipleship Journal plan that my pastor recommended a couple of weeks ago. This is an endeavor I have undertaken started several times, but never in December. Usually I begin in January, with Genesis and Matthew usually, depending on the plan, and to be honest, the plan is generally abandoned come September or August. Beginning in December means I am reading Revelation and some of the minor prophets, passages that aren't in the norm of my Bible reading (keepin' it real). Today I read (and rejoiced over) Micah's assertion...
Who is a God like you, pardoning iniquity and passing over transgression for the remnant of his interhitance? He does not retain his anger forever, because he delights in steadfast love. He will again have compassion on us; he will tread our iniquities underfoot. You will cast all our sins into the depth of the sea. (Micah 7:18-19)
Who is a God like You, indeed. Christmas easily becomes a time of great sentimentality or, in my case, a time of great cynicism. However, Christmas is far more than giving and getting and even more than a baby in a manger. Christmas is God coming near in the person of Jesus Christ, emptying Himself, becoming obedient to death, even death on a cross, in order to purchase for us who believe pardon and forgiveness. As we ponder the glories of Christ's Incarnation, may we look not just to the manger but to the cross, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the Author and Perfector of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross...He is the indescribable Gift of Christmas!

7 comments:

  1. I love that pumpkin bread recipe, and will be making some this weekend.

    Deep breaths, friend. Deep breaths. It'll get done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I wish I could give you such a big hug. Our God is good. He is sovereign. And, He is adequate for every situation. It will be over soon. Just keep reminding yourself it's not about you (or them), but Him. And, be glad you had your mom to help you put up to tree :)

    Tell them I send my love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your status report, sympathize with your boys, empathize with you, rejoice with you in the meaning of this season!

    My last "grown-up" book giveaway ends Wednesday at noon. Wow - it's a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just about to say, "Oh, I wish I could give you a hug." Then I glanced at the comments already there and saw that Cycle Mom already said the very same thing! Well, I guess that makes two of us. :-) Regardless of all the dazzle of Christmas traditions, I pray you can keep in your heart the wonder of that night in Bethlehem, in order to pass it on to your precious sons. It really is something to celebrate. I know you know this. It's all that other stuff that can get in the way...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm... anything with pumpkin is alright with me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Though I'm enjoying the fun of the season -- especially as seen through the kids'eyes -- and though I've been able to take some time to be thankful for the reason we're celebrating... I'll be glad when January 4th is here. Somehow, we've managed to make a ton of plans for the week after Christmas too, so I feel I won't be able to breathe until everyone is back at school and work... Maybe then I'll actually start reading blogs again. And books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that pumpkin bread recipe, and will be making some this weekend.

    Deep breaths, friend. Deep breaths. It'll get done.

    ReplyDelete