Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Status Report, February

Sitting...at my dining room table, though I'm considering moving into the den so I can sit on the sofa in front of the electric heater.

Eating...Hershey's Special Dark nuggets with almonds. Can't stop.

Drawing a blank...on what to cook this week. I need to go to the store but I can't think of anything to have for supper this week. This I do not understand. I mean, I've been cooking (such as it is) for nearly two decades. How is it so hard to come up with a week's menu?

Hoping...my friend Amy will come to my rescue in the coming weeks. She's started a cooking / recipe blog here. Go, check it out and tell her hey!

Refusing...to teach my son to drive. Yes, my oldest son turned fifteen this weekend and as of yesterday, is the proud owner of the much desired learner's permit. I will not ride with him, I've declared, for at least six months. I figured I taught him to dress himself, bathe himself and take care of business in the bathroom. His daddy can teach him to drive. Note to local readers: you've been forewarned. Conduct yourselves accordingly.

Amazed...that I have a fifteen year old son. Where does the time go?

Eager...to get my hair cut tomorrow. I'm in desperate need. Desperate, I tell you.

Wondering...what we will do with ourselves now that basketball is essentially over. My youngest son has a few more games but after that we're done. So far we have no spring sports commitments. Home every night? What luxury! How will we function? What does one do with so much time?

About to begin reading...Les Miserables. Never read it, never seen the musical. Know nothing about it but that it's LONG and it's French. I got the abridged version which, though abridged, weighs in at a whopping 829 pages! Can I do it? I hope so!

Loving...little surprises in the mail from my blog friends. One such friend, Linda at Mocha With, shot me an email a week or so ago telling me she was sending me a book, the title of which made her immediately think of me! I was intrigued and couldn't wait to see what inspired her. When I received her package, I laughed! The book? Jane Austen Ruined My Life by Beth Pattillo!
Isn't that fun? And it was--a fun, light read! I really enjoyed it. Thanks, Linda!

Pondering...brokenness as I prepare for Bible study tomorrow. Thinking specifically of James 4:8-10 and agreeing with Nancy Leigh Demoss in her assertion that this is a message we are not eager to hear. As she states, "most of us don't walk into a Christian bookstore and say, 'Can you help me find a book on how to mourn and weep?' We want to know how to be happy and whol, how to improve our self esteem, how to feel better about ourselves." But God's Word is clear that we must humble ourselves in the sight of the Lord and He will lift us up. The hard part of humility is that it is often humiliating. But in humility we discover the greater portion of His presence and His power. It's not fun, but it's worth it...

Procrastinating...no more. I will make a grocery list and I will go to the grocery store. Now. Or at least soon. Happy Tuesday, everyone!

9 comments:

  1. It't got to be the imbibing of chocolate that inhibits the brain. :-) Trust me, if you were eating grapefruit, your menu/grocery list would be done. How do I know this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arggh! It said "duplicate action" but then it ate my comment! And it wasn't even dark chocolate with almonds! LOL

    I think I said. . . .

    I'm glad you liked the book! And I can't believe the shortversion of Les Miserables is 829 pages. Yikes!

    Dark Chocolate with almonds may be my favorite candy combo. Or at least tied with dark chocolate and mint.

    And your comment on brokenness piggybacks on something I've been stewing on and trying to post when I can get a chance and get my thoughts corralled!

    Oh, and I do the very same thing with the grocery store. I feel like I am so in a rut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa. I'm begging you. Don't read the abridged version. You really will miss so much. Get hold of the Everyman's Library. Read it all, even if you have to renew it at the library. (The only book I ever had to renew).

    It is so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never read the book nor seen the show, but I have the Broadway soundtrack and love it! I know a lot of the story just from the music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, you know the Austen book is going on my wishlist!

    Second...I'm not reading Les Mis. There is NO WAY I'm getting through a book that thick in the coming month. Besides, my TBR stack is threatening to topple over any day now. So, I'm going to depend on the rest of the team to let me know what I'm missing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link! I hope you will enjoy some of the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your status reports, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got my post up and put your "pondering" paragraph in it today. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you guys get bored with all the free time, Jennifer and I will gladly come over and hang out with yal--just cook one of Amy's recipes and we are totally there!

    ReplyDelete