Monday, May 04, 2009

Status Report, May

Sitting...at my dining room table.

Considering...sitting outside on the back porch but with all the rain we've had over the weekend, I imagine it's pretty damp. Hence my usual position.

Drinking...coffee, black.

Wondering...if I have any status to report.

Reading...a lot. Titles I've recently completed include: The Help (wonderful!), Dough: A Memoir, Every Secret Thing, The Great Gatsby (not my favorite), The Bookends of the Christian Life (also wonderful!).

Needing...to write up some reviews for 5 Minutes for Books. Obviously my writer's block isn't limited to my personal blog but pervades all writing responsibilities. I don't even reply to email! :-)

Dreading...the busyness that is May.

Weary...of the (seeming) sameness of my life. Wake up, shuttle kids, do laundry, shuttle kids, go to bed. Same dirty house, same melancholy tendencies. Same battles, same defeats.

Thinking...I am far too funk-y and melancholy to be attempting a blog post.

Changing...the subject.

Amazed...by my number one son's cycling skills. I think I told you about being so nervous watching him race grown men a couple of weeks ago? This past weekend I watched him race in a MONSOON, praying against a crash (did I mention the MONSOON?), holding my breath as he sprinted for fourth. Seems like yesterday he was hurtling his Fisher Price trike as fast as it would go down the hill on our street.

Intending...for number two son to sort through his clothes today and numbers three and four to clean the disaster area that is their room.

Bracing...for much wailing and gnashing of teeth this afternoon.

Wanting...to grow my hair longer but also wanting it cut. Maybe a trim will help?

Compiling...a (mental) list of the things I could blog about but probably won't (did I mention blogger's block?). Things like watching a cycling race in a MONSOON. How my field trips fared (and how much I rejoice that my field trip days are numbered, yes and amen). About the Lord teaching me yet again that He is glorified in the small, the simple, the mundane and the ordinary, if it is done in His name and for the sake of His Son. How grateful I am for my Bible study group and how much I will miss it when we go on break this summer. About realizing the stranglehold of condemnation and struggling to remember that the righteousness of Christ has set me free.

Convicted...of (choose one or more of the following) self pity, resentment, laziness, jealousy, selfishness, yelling, self preoccupation...I could go on. But I won't.

Rejoicing...that that it is the kindness of the Holy Spirit that leads me to repentance! Those God loves He disciplines...

Thankful...for the emails and comments from friends and fellow bloggers curious about my recent hiatus. It's nice to be missed.

Hoping...to return to (some semblance of) regularly scheduled blogging and soon.

18 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're at least trying to work through the block. Hang in there, Lisa. You HAVE been missed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you HAVE been missed (even though I wasn't a good friend who emailed to check on you...but I knew you were busy). I, too, need to be writing reviews...but just haven't gotten around to doing it.

    I didn't attempt Gatsby because I remembered how torturous reading it in high school was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely been missing you!

    And I wish we had a little more of the busyness of May. I've been so exasperated at our district for canceling everything because of the flu! Or I should say the slim possibility of the flu!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WB and love the way you did your blog today!! it was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you loved the Help. Everyone I know who has read it agreed.

    That's so funny, because I'm the same way with emails etc when I'm overwhelmed or blocked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, thanks for commenting on my post...I am so glad to have found your blog, and am now enjoying working my way through your archives. :) I love your "status reports". Such a fun little window into your day/life. :) I look forward to following along (as the blogger's block subsides) in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you know what a blessing it is to be a wife, mommy, homemaker, etc and what a calling that is from the Lord?

    I understand because I've walked it - but you are fulfilling God's perfect and pleasing purpose for your life just now!

    Enjoy the journey today!!

    Blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this post too - thanks for sharing your emotions with us! :-)

    I cant wait to read The Help - I just got it in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that's some pondering. I understand about the busyness of May. I have a son graduating in two weeks time, one who just landed back home from college (and the mess he brought with him), two others who are going to need "tons" of attention this summer, and just generally trying not to be consumed by the "to do" list that barks its constant insistence (sp?).

    Life is draining; and in the midst of it, there is this deep need in each one of us to matter ... to make something of ourselves beyond the mundane. Who can't relate to those feelings?

    Through it all, the busy and the not so, I'm glad for a God who tarries with me. He makes the mundance tolerable, sometimes even a fantastic display of his presence when I'm open to seeing him there.

    Praying you see him today, friend. You make my world a better place.

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, you are missed.

    I read Gatsby recently just because I somehow managed to get through AP English and several semesters as an English major (before I changed it) in college without ever having read it, and I keep hearing what a great book it is. My thought at the end (after wading through it): "That was it?" Not my favorite either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Lisa, I share so many of these with you -- the writer's block, the weariness, the melancholic funk!

    I'd love to read about your son's race in the monsoon, but since I'm battling writer's block myself, I will put no pressure on you to write that post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. May always brings out the funk in me. I am ready to MOVE ON.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving...you.

    I have been on an unplanned blog hiatus lately as well. Nearly two weeks without words.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just found your blog; it's lovely. I wanted to comment on this post because my May status is so similar to yours. I too am weary of the sameness of my days, yet also dreading the busyness of these last two May weeks (on top of the busyness of the first two). Strange to feel both ways at once, isn't it? Time for summer to come, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that's some pondering. I understand about the busyness of May. I have a son graduating in two weeks time, one who just landed back home from college (and the mess he brought with him), two others who are going to need "tons" of attention this summer, and just generally trying not to be consumed by the "to do" list that barks its constant insistence (sp?).

    Life is draining; and in the midst of it, there is this deep need in each one of us to matter ... to make something of ourselves beyond the mundane. Who can't relate to those feelings?

    Through it all, the busy and the not so, I'm glad for a God who tarries with me. He makes the mundance tolerable, sometimes even a fantastic display of his presence when I'm open to seeing him there.

    Praying you see him today, friend. You make my world a better place.

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Definitely been missing you!

    And I wish we had a little more of the busyness of May. I've been so exasperated at our district for canceling everything because of the flu! Or I should say the slim possibility of the flu!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad you're at least trying to work through the block. Hang in there, Lisa. You HAVE been missed!!

    ReplyDelete