Monday, May 11, 2009

Who is sufficient?

Well, it's Monday and you know that on Mondays my mind tends to dwell on all that I have to do in the coming week, thoughts that generally mark my Monday blogging.

Assuming I actually blog on a Monday.

Or any other weekday for that matter.

This week there is MUCH to be done so there is MUCH on my mind and the temptation to blog about the MUCH there is to do is strong.

Hello, May.

However, I've decided I will spare you a recitation of the MUCH that comprises my "to do" list for the week.

You may thank me in the comments.

Suffice it to say, some of the MUCH that there is to do I actually enjoy, but there is also part of the MUCH that I dread much. This morning as I prayed/worried over my "to do" list, worrying far more than praying, I thought of Paul's question in 2 Cor. 2:16, "Who is sufficient for these things?"

Who is sufficient for teaching Bible study and juggling basketball practices and football spring training and guitar lessons? Who is sufficient for going to this meeting and that meeting and getting the laundry done and the meals cooked? Who is sufficient for remembering who needs what money and who is going on which field trip on which day? Who is sufficient for these things?

Not I.

I am woefully insufficient to do all that is to be done, and as I consider doing them with a cheerful heart absent of grouchiness and stress--well, no way, not in me. My insufficiency in light of this week's obligations overwhelms me to the point that I just want to run away and hide. Sometimes I think I cannot do it, not everything, not this week; can't I resign already?

Who is sufficient? The footnote in my study Bible tells me:
The implied answer is "No one." The work of the gospel (and the Christian life as a whole) can never be carried out on the basis of human ability or by human means...our "sufficiency" comes only from God by means of his grace... (ESV Study Bible)
His grace. His righteousness. His sufficiency.

I can't; so stop trying already.

He can; rest in His all sufficient grace. His power is made perfect in weakness and in "to do" lists humbly surrendered to Him.

6 comments:

  1. Yep! I called it May Mountains in my own beleaguered post. I join you in praise of the Only One Sufficient to scale the mountains and handle the Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SO needed to read this today! Thank you.

    And I'm hoping to get that Bible for my anniversary later this month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent thoughts and much needed as I was staring at my May calendar that looks like a Sharpie truck exploded on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I needed this today :)
    See you Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm having this same week. Thank you for the good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm having this same week. Thank you for the good reminder.

    ReplyDelete