Thursday, May 28, 2009

You asked; I'm answering--Part One

I asked you to ask, and you girls came through for me, providing me with several posts' worth of blog fodder! So, here goes, the first set of questions and answers (with more fun to come!)

********
From Melissa, As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

The first profession I remember aspiring to was a waitress. I informed my dad of this momentous decision at Red Lobster, no doubt inspired by the quality of service provided by our young teenaged waitress. My dad wasted no time informing me that perhaps I could set my goals just a little higher...

I also wanted to be a nurse, this desire fueled by my love for the Clara Barton novels. However, I began to reconsider after nearly throwing up when my mom asked me to salt and pepper some chicken breasts.

As a girl, I also dreamed of being an astronaut and a novelist--but not at the same time. As I grew older, I cared less about the what and more about the image. I really, really wanted to wear power suits, read the Wall Street Journal, and carry a briefcase.

Now, of course, I do none of the above, a prime example of 1 Cor. 2:9

********
Among Elle's questions is the following: How did you meet your husband?

My husband and I met in Sunday school. Really. My parents had moved to my husband's hometown in Georgia the summer after our freshman year of college. A couple of summers after their move, my (future) husband and I were both home for the summer, he from Auburn, me from Baylor. He had a girlfriend at the time, one of my sister's good friends, but conveniently enough they decided to "date other people" just in time for him to ask me out before I had to go back to school in Texas.

Here's a story that's always amused me: when he did call with the invitation to dinner and a Braves game, I panicked as I well knew his (former) girlfriend and my sister were such good friends. So I asked him to hold as I raced upstairs to ask my sister's advice--advice consisted of "Go out with him. Just don't tell anybody I said so. And if you don't go out with him, I will!" Actually, my mom and my sister both were (are) great fans of his, warning me "Don't you hurt him, Lisa."

Of course, my mom was over-the-moon thrilled I was going out with a Georgia boy, something she had been praying for quite specifically. For my part, I was a little hesitant, having recently sworn off men in general, deciding they weren't worth the heartache and nor the drama.

But my man, he persevered and won me over, heart and soul. Actually, my soul belongs to Jesus but "heart and soul" sounds far more poetic than just merely saying he won my heart...but you know what I mean.

********
Speaking of Texas, Linda wants to know: What you miss about Texas. :-) And what you don't.

It's been decades (literally!) since I've even been to Texas, much less lived there. But, upon reflection, I miss: the bluebonnets. James Avery jewelry stores. The breeze (it may be hot as Hades, but there's always a breeze). What I don't miss: the hot as Hades temps. The flatness. The lack of trees.

********
So, there you go. The first installment in the You ask; I'll answer series of posts. Want to ask a question of your own? Ask away and I'll answer (maybe)!

Look for more questions and answers forthcoming...

5 comments:

  1. Loved reading this!

    And there's not much of a breeze today!

    Funny - you lived here in central Texas flat. Coming from Houston, the Hill Country is a delight! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and being a nurse is no problem. Cutting up a chicken? Gag!! The two are not even remotely related! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once dreamed of wearing power suits, reading the Wall Street Journal and carrying a brief case, but there's just not much call for that around Albertville!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun questions and answers!

    I loved Clara Barton, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved reading the story of how the two of you met and started dating!

    At one time, I wanted to be a veterinarian, because I loved animals. But I soon realized that being a vet would involve needles and scalpels and all kinds of horrific things. I'm better off just admiring animals from a not-so-personal distance. :)

    ReplyDelete