Friday, June 05, 2009

15 that stick, in 15 minutes

I saw this first at Carrie's, then at Jennifer's and thought I'd join in the fun. Here's the deal, from Booking Through Thursday (a blog devoted to weekly book memes):
“This can be a quick one. Don’t take too long to think about it. Fifteen books you’ve read that will always stick with you. First fifteen you can recall in no more than 15 minutes.”
So, at 8:55 am, here are the first fifteen books I can think of off the top of my head that have stuck with me (and no, Jennifer, I did not ponder this beforehand, honest!)...

1. The Bible
2. The Dangerous Duty of Delight by John Piper
3. Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper
4. God is the Gospel by John Piper
5. Pride and Prejudice
6. The Count of Monte Cristo
7. the Mitford books by Jan Karon
8. Seeking Him by Nancy Leigh Demoss
9. Surrender by Nancy Leigh Demoss
10. Jane Eyre
11. the Harry Potter books, all of them
12. Anne of Green Gables
13. The Ragamuffin Gospel
14. The Book Thief
15. Living the Cross Centered Life by CJ Mahaney

So, there you go. Now 9:04, that's my list of books that affected me and stuck with me. A variety of titles and a variety of reasons why they came to mind, but all of them favorites in their own right.

What about you? Can you name 15 "sticky" books in 15 minutes?

13 comments:

  1. Wow, I don't have time to right now, and I'm going to do my best not to think about it and do it later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of my favorites on your list.
    Let's see...
    The Bible
    LOTR
    Sir Gibby by George MacDonald
    Anne of Green Gables
    The Mitford series
    Harry Potter Series
    Chronicles of Narnia
    Byzantium by Stephen Lawhead
    The Wind in the Willows
    Mysteries by Dorothy Sayers
    Pilgrims Inn by Elizabeth Goudge
    Daily Light
    and since some of those series are more than one book I think I've exceeded 15 :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ALMOST put the Mitford books on my list also. I think I just forgot about them once I got going. At any rate, I like your list, of course. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay. Totally stealing this next week. If I just keep hanging out here I will never have to think of an original blog post again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, okay--I didn't put the Bible on mine, because, well it's not just "A" book, it's THE book, so I don't ever really think about it in that context.

    But I remembered (before I opened yours up) that Mitford should be on there. Father Tim IS a real person. And Cynthia, too. They just are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a fun idea! I'm going to have to do this. Great list of books. I see some on your list that I'll have to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read the bible, the first mitford book, Jane Eyre, Harry Potter and The book Thief. The Count of Monte Cristo is one I've been wanting to read. My post is up finally.

    here

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some of my favorites:

    1. Leota's Garden by Francine Rivers
    2. Color the Sidewalk for me by Brandilyn Collins
    3 A Single Thresd by Marie Bostwick
    4. Adam by Ted Dekker
    5. Anne of Green Gables
    6. The Zion Chronicles by Bodie Thoene
    7. The Zion Covenant Same author
    8. The Georgia Trilogy by Eugenia Price
    9. Roots by Alex Haley
    10. The Secret of the Rose Series by Michael Phillips
    11 The Shiloh Series by Bodie Thoene
    12. Hinds Feet on High Places Hannah Harnard
    13. The Left Behind Series
    14. And Ladies of the Club
    15 Gone with the Wind
    16. Christy by Catherine Marshall

    And the list could go on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing you list. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have no idea what my list would look like, but the Bible and the Count, we are in agreement on. I see the Mitford series listed several times here. I tried reading the first in book and just could not force myself to plow through. When does it get to the "favorite" part?

    I've also never read any John Piper...sounds like I'm missing out and I'll have to take care of that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've got my list up - Thanks for the link - this was fun!

    http://pragmaticcompendium.wordpress.com/2009/06/08/15-books-15-minutes-a-lifetime/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots of John Piper on there. I have not read a one. I really need to check out the book store for some of his books!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've read the bible, the first mitford book, Jane Eyre, Harry Potter and The book Thief. The Count of Monte Cristo is one I've been wanting to read. My post is up finally.

    here

    ReplyDelete