Monday, June 01, 2009

You asked; I'm answering--Part Two

Another sampling of questions and answers in the ongoing You ask; I'll answer (maybe) series of posts...

********
Among Elle's questions: How did you announce your first pregnancy to family? How did you announce your fourth?

Our first pregnancy we announced to my family just before my sister's college graduation exercises. We were going to wait until after the ceremony so as not to steal her thunder, but my husband was so excited he couldn't wait. I, on the other hand, was in a state of shock (that lasted nine months, by the way) so I made him say it. My mom was ecstatic (as was all my family for that matter). She cried.

The fourth time around was, shall we say, a gift that we hadn't necessarily asked for if you know what I mean--talk about a state of shock! More than shocked, I was mortified (terrible, but true). So, once I gathered my courage, I told my mom on the phone cringing even as I broke the news. She was ecstatic. And she cried.

********
Shelly W wants to know: Where is your favorite place to be? Where is the best place you've traveled to?

My favorite place to be, day in and day out, is on my back porch. In the early morning with a cup of coffee and my Bible. At dusk. Or, actually any time of day except for late afternoon when the sun is bearing down. With coffee or a glass of iced tea and a good book. Or, at suppertime with my family. Or, like this past Saturday night, with good friends and good conversation. Have I mentioned how much I love my back porch?

The best place I've traveled--well, I haven't traveled all that much, though I love vacations at the beach (better than the mountains, as Elle knows). A couple of summers ago my husband and I went to DC and I loved it. LOVED it. Can't wait to go back.

********
Liz reminds me that I once encouraged young moms to take more videos (if you did it again). Or something like that. I'm wondering what of, or does it matter

It really doesn't matter; you will treasure any footage of those fleeting days. However, someone once encouraged me to take lots of pictures and/or video of the everyday moments, the real life activities of the kids playing, riding their bikes, etc. She promised me that those slices of life would be the ones I would treasure and she is right.

I tried to be faithful to her advice, particularly when the kids were much younger, not so much now (my poor youngest boy--he will have little to reminisce over, bless his heart). Not too long ago my husband was playing around with some video software and in the process posted a snippet of video footage from the boys ages 18 months to about 7 years old respectively. I have to tell you, I could watch those few minutes of video 150 times and never grow weary of it!

Treasure the ordinary moments and record them for posterity; they will pass by faster than you can imagine.

********
Kelly (who did not miss the deadline because there isn't one) asks: What simple, daily pleasure makes you smile the biggest?

That first cup of coffee.

10 comments:

  1. Hey! Thanks for answering my question. My back porch is one of my favorite places to be too! I love it there.

    We're taking our kids to D.C. this summer. How funny is that?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could come sit on your back porch with you awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm so with you on that first cup of coffee!

    Your back porch sounds lovely. We have a deck but it sits quite high so it's not as private as I would like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You ever come to DC again, I better know about it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want the opportunity to spend more time on my back porch. I think I'll start making time for that! Thanks!

    Ditto on the morning coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you about the videos! I'm pretty good about special occasions, but still working on the daily stuff! Plus, I've only had a video camera since Christmas so I've been stuck with the "movie" version of our camera for a long time and it was not so good... but I do remember more "daily" videos in the first few years (when we only had one) so I need to catch up on the "daily" now that we have two. Because they do, in fact, do things other than dance class and play with out-of-town guests... maybe we'll make a how-to of us filling up the sandbox tomorrow. Or making cookies. Either way, it's hot and we'll be all sweaty. Can't get more "everyday" than that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morning coffee. Me too, girl. Me too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun to read these answers! I, too, would love to visit with you on your back porch. A porch is one thing I really wish we had... Instead, we have a tiny front stoop and a small cement patio out back. Maybe someday...

    I've been trying to take more videos and pictures of the everyday stuff...instead of just on Christmas, birthdays, vacations, and school events. It's so easy for me to just forget about the camera, but I really should pick it up more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun to read these answers! I, too, would love to visit with you on your back porch. A porch is one thing I really wish we had... Instead, we have a tiny front stoop and a small cement patio out back. Maybe someday...

    I've been trying to take more videos and pictures of the everyday stuff...instead of just on Christmas, birthdays, vacations, and school events. It's so easy for me to just forget about the camera, but I really should pick it up more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You ever come to DC again, I better know about it ;-)

    ReplyDelete