Monday, August 17, 2009

Deliberations

Deliberate--carefully weighed or considered; studied; intentional
I told you in my last post that I want to be deliberate with my life, redeeming the time, numbering my days. As I shared with you, I've been challenged by Piper's article on autumn resolutions; I want to make "resolves for good," as Piper describes them, resolutions born of "self examination--life-examination, routine-examination, schedule-examination, heart-examination." To that end, I've been making some deliberations, examining and evaluating my priorities: my life, my routine, my schedule, and my heart. It's been a process, but I thought maybe I'd give you a glimpse into my deliberations thus far...

I told you it's a process, consisting (so far) of three main steps:
  • Determining my priorities--what's important? What's not?
  • Evaluating my activities--is this beneficial? How does it fit into my list of what's important?
  • Taking action--what needs to change? Where do I need to grow?
In the end, I hope to have priorities that are more focused as well as a greater grasp of the Lord's will for my day to day life.

So, here's how it's working itself out so far...

I want to say first of all that the bulk of my approach has been gleaned from Carolyn Mahaney and the other girltalk gals' book Shopping for Time: How to Do It All and NOT Be Overwhelmed, specifically their chapter "Sit and Plan." In that chapter, Carolyn and her daughters recommend a personal retreat, a time to get away for awhile, alone if possible and free from distractions in order to sit and plan. Well, I didn't exactly get away; I chose to retreat to the back porch and for two reasons--coffee and the ability to stay on top of my laundry.

On my "retreat" to the back porch, I brought the following essentials:
  • Cup of coffee
  • Bible--I didn't really use it much (keepin' it real) but I wanted it as a visual reminder of the foundation of all decisions
  • Notebook and pen and some preliminary brainstorming notes
You may take notice of what I did not take to the porch with me, namely, my computer. I'm not saying it wouldn't be helpful. I am saying that the temptation to check email, visit Facebook, and browse google reader, you know, just for a minute...well, it would all be too great. Yeah, I'm a wimp. So, a plain old spiral notebook and blue ink pen had to suffice. Old school all the way, baby.

Also, Shopping for Time implies all planning is accomplished in one fell swoop--which is totally great. You go, girl. For me, however, it's been more of a process. Last Friday during car line I spent half an hour or so sketching out some preliminary notes, brainstorming on the ideas of priorities and schedules and the like. Today I took the "retreat" to the porch for an hour or so during which I expanded and modified those notes as I prayed over them, seeking the Lord's guidance and direction. Over the next few days, I will continue to pray and think and evaluate and make plans as the Lord leads. A process.

In my next post I will share some of the specifics of how I prepared for my "retreat" and some of the priorities the Spirit is impressing on me.

2 comments:

  1. I am trying to rethink what's important, too. I need to revisit Shopping for Time!

    Can't wait to read more about what you're learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am trying to rethink what's important, too. I need to revisit Shopping for Time!

    Can't wait to read more about what you're learning.

    ReplyDelete