Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Status Report, September

Sitting...at the dining room table

Drinking...coffee, black. Yes, in the middle of the afternoon.

Discovering...the joys of Book Radio on satellite radio (XM 163). While the Sci Fi Hour isn't my favorite, Pride and Prejudice is on weekdays at 12:30. I've also listened to portions of H. G. Well's Time Machine and a Sherlock Holmes mystery. Too bad I don't have longer commutes when I run errands around town! Yes, I am a nerd.

Watching...nothing at all. "24" and "LOST," come quickly!

Thinking...41 sounds old.

Hoping...that, come Friday, 41 no longer sounds nor feels old.

Fighting...a funk. A funk that, incidentally, has nothing to do with Friday nor 41.

Wondering...if 41 is too young for a mid life crisis.

Loving...September. September means fall is just around the corner and I love, love, LOVE fall. Fall is without a doubt one of the best funk fighters there is.

Recommending...Counsel from the Cross: Connecting Broken People to the Love of Christ. Chapter 6, "The Gospel and Our Sanctification," alone is worth the price of the book as is Chapter 9, "The Gospel Story and the Glory Story." The joy of the Lord is my strength!

Pondering...this quote from Paul Tripp's A Shelter in the Time of Storm: Meditations on God and Trouble:
But often God doesn't give us the things that we have set our hearts on, precisely because we have set our hearts on them. Because we have set our hearts on them they are a spiritual danger to us...Because he loves us and because he's good, God keeps from us those things that fight for control of our hearts and, therefore, fight for the place that only he is supposed to have.
Anticipating...Bible study starting next Wednesday the 9th. Have I told you how excited I am? I am SO excited! May the Lord do more than we can ask or imagine--for His kingdom and His glory!

Planning...a hiatus of sorts from blogging. I'm thinking I'll take the month of September off. It's a rough estimate; it may be shorter, may be longer. I know what you're thinking--I've essentially been on hiatus for the last six months or so; what's the difference? I don't really know, except that in some weird way announcing a break in advance makes it more official and me less guilt ridden. Why I should feel guilty over not blogging is a mystery indeed but there it is. These are the issues a hiatus will (hopefully) serve to alleviate. Anyway, I may post a book review or two but for the most part I will be on break.

Happy September, friends!

15 comments:

  1. I completely understand and support a blogging break. I may or may not be coming back from one now... and I've finally gotten over the guilt and it feels good.

    Oo... Book Radio sounds great.

    We've had some fall-like weather here the last two days and I'm loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the "Watching" front; there is nothing on tv right now. Some friends and I are planning a big party for the Lost premier. Does that give you any indication of how much we miss our show? Can you believe this is the last season?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, bummer on the break. From my purely selfish standpoint, of course!! Hope you enjoy your month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect post!

    Love,
    kelly
    http://www.ivebecomemymother.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only thing I'm watching these days is Project Runway. I don't have any other shows I regularly watch except American Idol. I've heard we should get 24 from Netflix, though.

    I'll miss your blog posts, but I plan to stay in touch.

    P.S. - 41 is NOT old :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait for LOST to come back, either!! I read your notice about taking a break, and I felt like it might be a good thing to do, too. Like I'm not actually taking a break already, but maybe I need an official one as well. I share your bewilderment as to why in the world I would feel guilty about not blogging, but I do. And our Bible study starts Tuesday! I'm excited!

    Enjoy your break....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there friend, 41 doesn't sound old at all. Especially if you say 20 1/2-twice.

    Ok, that didn't make it any better did it?

    Well, scoot on over. I'm in the very same 41yr old boat myself.

    I boarded the ship last February. When did you come along for the ride?

    ...did I hear that 41 is the new 18? I could have sworn I heard that somewhere...

    p.s. Enjoy your break, but please don't stay away too long.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your month...and NO 41 is not old...42 is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy your break....and happy birthday. I am headed to 42 soon, so 41 is nowhere NEAR old! (And that book radio sounds heavenly. I am getting sat. radio this coming week. Happy fall!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy your hiatus, but I'll miss your posts :)

    and I too am looking forward to the return of my shows. (but not LOST...isn't it weird that I live in Hawaii and yet have NEVER not once seen then show?!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We're in the midst of 24 right now. We're late comers to the show, only watching season 7 this past year. Over the summer we watched the first 3 seasons, now on season 4.

    Hope you're doing well; we're getting geared up for Bible study next week, Priscilla Shirer's "one in a million". I know you're busy; look forward to your return.

    Take good care.

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am with you on the need for Lost to return. I'm about to rewatch seasons 1-5 to feed the addiction..lol

    Love you friend..Hope you are having a nice break!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been away for awhile.

    Praying all is well.

    Here is my new blog address:

    www.consideringitalljoy.com

    Blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I pray your hiatus has been fruitful...

    I find that I am wishing I had your wisdom. September is notoriously busy in this household, and I am missing the beginnings of (yes, I love love love it too!) fall.

    enjoy the break!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The only thing I'm watching these days is Project Runway. I don't have any other shows I regularly watch except American Idol. I've heard we should get 24 from Netflix, though.

    I'll miss your blog posts, but I plan to stay in touch.

    P.S. - 41 is NOT old :-)

    ReplyDelete