Monday, October 12, 2009

If you'd known then...

The Lord has seen fit to place me in a couple of mentoring relationships in this season of my life and, despite the occasional bout of insecurity (Who in the world do I think I am?), I am loving it. Interestingly enough, all three of the young women I (presumably) mentor are pastor's wives, two of which I meet with on Friday mornings. My other young friend and I meet on something of a less structured schedule; we've decided to both read a book (currently Crazy Love and prior to that Womanly Dominion) and then meet for lunch to discuss.

I say I presumably mentor these women but in reality it is a mutual iron-sharpening-iron. They are all godly young women passionate about living for Christ. Sometimes their maturity in the faith stands in sharp contrast to my own, particularly when I think back (way back) to when I was their age. For example, one of my presumed mentorees is a seminary student. How does one mentor someone studying Hebrew? I don't know either, but did I mention I'm loving it?

During our last lunch session, my friend asked me to think on the following question: What did I wish I had known when I was her age? In other words, what piece of advice would I offer to the me I was then? Bless her heart, she really does want to know.

I've been pondering my answer for a couple of weeks now and plan to post my thoughts here in the next couple of day. But before then, I'd like to ask you the same thing. What do you wish you had known then, as a young wife and mom? Or, if you are currently a young wife and mom, what advice would you have given yourself as a teenager? Whatever stage of life you are currently in, if you'd known "back then" what you know now, what would you do differently? Or the same?

I'll be interested to read what you think!

11 comments:

  1. How quickly time passes. That seems rather trite, but it's so true and applies to so many things. Kids and whatever stage they are in. Trials. Opportunities we have. People God places in our lives to influence. Relationships.

    Everything seems so huge and time can seem to stand still and we think there's plenty of time, but it's gone in the blink of an eye. Don't miss the good stuff. Don't waste the opportunities. And don't despair during the hard times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second what Linda said.

    To that, I'd add...It's not all about me, and that's okay. I spent many years thinking that it was...that serving was beneath me, and that I deserved to be on a pedestal. I'm sad that it took me so long to discover the joy of serving my family and others. Still not something I'm as good at as I'd like to be, but I've learned that I don't have to put myself first anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is quite a question, Lisa. I fear my list would be too long to list here. But one does stand out:

    I'd allow myself to be imperfect. I would have given myself more grace...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Letting go is OK! I don't have to live up to anyone's standards of me (except God's) and He loves me where I am! I'd play more and work less. And I'd spend even more time with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How to forgive myself quicker...

    I've spent a lifetime and wasted a lot of years trying to get my mind around God's grace. Can't be done. Only received and then move on it with it!

    Good to hear from you. I haven't been here as well. I'll try and do better.

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a dear woman and teacher. God has blessed you with knowledge and experiences even you are unaware of. Thanks for making the time for me :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, great question and I'd have to really think on it too as there is probably quite a list. But the thing that comes to immediately to mind is not take everything soooo seriously, that God wants us to enjoy the life He gives and that His grace is sufficient for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa,

    What a great question! I'm not sure how I found your blog originally, but I enjoy dropping in occasionally and appreciate the posts I've read.

    I don't know whether you are familiar with our website, but I write articles which are posted on truewoman.com (a ministry of Revive Our Hearts).

    In August we focused on marriage and I have a series that expresses many things I wish I'd known as a young bride. The five articles are called "Marriage Killers."

    You can access all five by going to this article and linking to the others:

    http://www.truewoman.com/?id=762

    Thanks for letting me peek in own your world. If you visit our site sometime, drop me a line :-)

    Blessings!
    Kimberly Wagner
    Hebrews 12:1-4

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I really really wish I hadn't taken myself so seriously when I was in my early 20's. I wish I had talked less and listened more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this question so I wrote a whole post about it. It will be up tomorrow at http://toofullofhands.wordpress.com
    Lisa, thanks for the great prompting!
    Rachel Langston

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really looking forward to your thoughts on this!

    There's many things I could tell a younger me, but a few that jump to the front of my mind: Make time for relationships; Serve others more; Do the next right thing rather than searching for some grand journey.

    ReplyDelete