Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Status Report, October

Sitting...at my dining room table.

Drinking...coffee, black.

Feeling...lethargic. The gray, drizzly day doesn't help.

Thinking through...my to do list for the day. On the agenda: Making out a menu and grocery list. Grocery shopping. Bible study preparation. Various and sundry other duties including cleaning out the fridge, laundry and ironing. Pretty ambitious, especially given that at the moment I am doing none of those things.

Suffering...from a total mental block on what to cook for supper. If you have any suggestions, by all means send them on. I need simple and easy and if it involves a crock pot, I am so there.

Enjoying...David Crowder Band's new cd, Church Music. Most particularly "How He Loves:" If His grace is an ocean we're all sinking...

Reading...All over but the Shoutin' by Rick Bragg, another memoir. My husband and I saw Bragg speak at a banquet a few months ago and I've been wanting to read his book ever since. He is a gifted and honest writer, no doubt about it, and his memoir is at turns funny and sad, poignant and painful. He grew up not too far from where I live which makes his recollections all the more intriguing. Really good.

Loving...fall. LOVE. FALL. Gray, drizzly days (and the corresponding lethargy) notwithstanding, the weather has been gorgeous, my windows have been open, and I've been loving every minute of it.

Dreading...sorting through the boys' clothes, a necessary evil each change of the seasons. I dread it so much that cooler (or warmer, as the case may be) weather always catches me digging madly through boxes of clothes seeking out a pair of long pants (or shorts) for one or more of the boys. This year, no different. Right now the boxes are lining the walls of our upstairs hallway awaiting to be sorted through and then repacked with the summer items. Yuck.

Convicted...by my aforementioned dread, especially as I consider how many in the world haven't hardly anything, much less four boxes' worth of clothes. We have so much and, sometimes, I am ashamed.

Counting...my blessings. If only I could count that high! The Lord has blessed me in immeasurable and incalculable ways, the greatest of which is the grace He has poured out on me through the cross. He demonstrates His love for me in that while I was yet a sinner, Christ died; how great a salvation!


4 comments:

  1. Menu Suggestions to the Rescue!

    We've been enjoying old-fashioned Reuben sandwiches. Quick, so easy and SO yummy.

    Homemade spaghetti and meatballs...easy and I make extra for meatball subs. Took me about 20 minutes to make about 3 dozen meatballs.

    Spicy chicken corn chowder. So flavorful, so easy and makes great leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to see your status report back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I found your blog. I'm hooked. I just read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society too and loved it!

    I'm in a kinda small town too, but I wish it was smaller. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. October, how did we get here? I too, dread the clothing swap, and then feel badly that I'm not more grateful for our abundance. My girls seem to grow at a rate that is ever-increasing. My not-quite-six-year-old ate almost twice the quantity of food I did today. Yikes.

    I hope Bible Study went well - but then how couldn't it? It's the Word of God. Love the status - such a quick but complete snapshot! So glad to have you back here!

    ReplyDelete