Tuesday, October 27, 2009

What's On My Nightstand, October

What's On Your Nightstand

It's the fourth Tuesday of the month which means 5 Minutes for Books is once again asking: What's On Your Nightstand?

Books I recently finished:
The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism which confronts many of the common questions skeptics have about Christianity in addition to offering support and validation of a Biblical gospel-driven worldview--highly recommended.

First the Dead, a CSI-type novel set in post Katrina New Orleans. A very different take on your usual suspense type novel but I enjoyed it.

Books I am now reading:
Mere Christianity by CS Lewis

I am between books in the fiction department. I'm considering something by Hemingway, maybe A Farewell To Arms. To my knowledge, I've never read any of Hemingway's novels. Any feedback? What about Faulkner?

Other titles I'd like to read include The Chosen by Chaim Potok, The Secret Garden by Burnett or maybe Here I Stand: A Life of Martin Luther by Bainton. What I end up reading will be strongly influenced by what's available at the library!

So, what's on your nightstand? Link up at 5 Minutes for Books and let us know!

10 comments:

  1. I'm curious about the Here I Stand book! If you get to it, do share your thoughts. I'd love to hear them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read The Secret Garden, but have always meant to do so. Looks like you've got some flexibility and lots of options-- a recipe for a great reading month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God (again) and A Prayer for Owen Meany. And I'm working my way through The Consequences of Ideas by Sproul. I'm also reading Revelation and studying Hebrews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim's comment reminded me that I am also reading the Bible through in a year. I don't know why I never think to add it but my ESV study Bible is also on my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First The Dead sounds like something I would like. I really liked The Chosen and The Secret Garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mere Christianity is a wonderful book. You will enjoy it.

    I'm not a huge Hemingway fan, but I do like The Old Man and the Sea. I prefer Faulkner. Try something of his. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love A FAREWELL TO ARMS and THE SECRET GARDEN. Very different books but you can't go wrong with either of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My friend was just telling me that she read the Sound and the Fury and really liked it, so that's my recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a good southern woman, I think it's good to read Faulkner, but his stories depress me. Seriously, prepare to feel rather melancholy.

    I like Hemingway. Just prepare for long sentences.

    I need to get my hands on some Keller. I can't believe I haven't read any of his stuff. I really want to read Prodigal God.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't comment on the other titles, but I don't think you'll go wrong with The Secret Garden. I read it for the first time a couple of years ago and found it a charming story.

    ReplyDelete