Sunday, November 15, 2009

In everything giving thanks-13, 14, and 15

I've fallen a little behind in my daily chronicle of thanksgiving. So, to catch up a bit...

Friday reminded me how grateful I am for books. I was reading an Agatha Christie mystery (The Secret Adversary) I had checked out of the library in pursuit of a light, fun read--and it did not disappoint. I'm thankful for the escape of a good story well told; I'm also grateful for the non-light, not-quite-so-fun reads--books that challenge and instruct, edify and confront, books that make me think and books that expound on Truth.

Yesterday I was so grateful for the patience and longsuffering of my two youngest sons who sat through two basketball games (and the few hours between games) at out of town tournament. It certainly would not have been among their top ten ways to spend a Saturday (all day Saturday) but they did so without complaint and even enjoyed themselves (of course, they were well prepared with book and PSP). They aren't always so easygoing (keepin' it real) but I'm so thankful for those times they are.

Today I thank God for a gorgeous fall day, brilliant blue sky, glorious sunshine, gentle breeze--a perfect afternoon for sitting on the front stoop, coffee cup in hand, watching my two boys throw the football. Have I told you I love fall? Truly the beauty of this Lord's Day gives reason for my love for autumn. The earth is full of God's glory and I am reminded of such today as I give thanks for a Sabbath afternoon on the porch, enjoying my boys and the beauty of the Lord's creation. This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it!

Remember to check out more testimonies of gratitude at Rebecca's.

6 comments:

  1. I love your lists. Wish I were on the porch stoop with you. We were laughing on the way home from church: 10 days 'til Thanksgiving and it's 82 degrees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the list today! I'm reading a heavy book right now and am already thinking about what light reading to pick up next. It's nice to have that balance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Afternoon on the porch sounds lovely! We have about a foot of snow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've had a few gorgeous fall days recently, and I, too, have just been loving them. Warm enough to enjoy, but crisp enough to be fall (and to require an extra cup of coffee). Definitely something to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've had a few gorgeous fall days recently, and I, too, have just been loving them. Warm enough to enjoy, but crisp enough to be fall (and to require an extra cup of coffee). Definitely something to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your lists. Wish I were on the porch stoop with you. We were laughing on the way home from church: 10 days 'til Thanksgiving and it's 82 degrees!

    ReplyDelete