Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Status Report, November

Sitting...on the loveseat in the den.

Drinking...coffee, black.

Giving thanks...daily this month as part of Rebecca Writes' month of gratitude. I have so very much to be thankful for that I am glad for the opportunity to express it here on the blog.

Loving...fall. The trees, the cooler temps, I love it all. LOVE fall.

Needing...to begin some Christmas shopping. Yes, I know: Christmas. We are exchanging gifts with my family early this year, Thanksgiving to be exact, which means I need to lay aside my Grinchdom earlier than I might otherwise, at least long enough to purchase (and wrap) some presents for the family celebration at my parents' this Thanksgiving.

Attempting...a good attitude about December and all it entails. I'm afraid my Scroogeness is scaring people.

Challenged...by our study of Hebrews as we work through Nancy Guthrie's Hoping for Something Better in Bible study. We're nearly finished and I have been encouraged and convicted by the ongoing theme of perseverance and holding fast. There really is something better: Jesus! He is worthy!

Making plans...for my upcoming trip to Nicaragua. Preliminary plans, that is. Mainly attempting to secure a passport and a fan, two necessities from what I've been told. Any ideas where I find a small (9" or so) fan this time of year?

Reading...Little Women and loving the corresponding nostalgia.

Reading...Mere Christianity and loving the corresponding challenge.

Recommending...this post on the nastiest and loveliest of truths and thinking that our view of our depravity affects our view of God, Jesus, salvation and grace.

Loving...basketball season though simultaneously dreading the accompanying frantic pace.

Pondering...the strange and difficult ministry of the prophets in the Old Testament as I read the books that bear their name as part of my read-the-Bible-in-a-year plan. Those guys sure didn't have it easy, not by any stretch of the imagination. Many times, God gave them a harsh and difficult message to proclaim and yet they were faithful to do His will. What an example they are to somebody like me, timid, unsure and anything but bold.

Wanting...a perspective like that of Moses: "He considered the reproach of Christ greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt, for he was looking to the reward." (Heb. 11:26) Pursuing Christ as my reward, seeking Him as the true and lasting Treasure--may it be so in me!


2 comments:

  1. I'm snickering over your early Christmas shopping. (But then think! You'll be done with some of it earlier! AND you COULD go ahead and do it all at once and then think of how much less stressful your December will be?!)

    As for your last reflections on Hebrews 11:26 - may it be so in me also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a matter of fact, I DO know where you can find a fan this time of year! I bought you one today and I'll put it in the mail tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete