Tuesday, December 01, 2009

In everything giving thanks-finally!

Because I want to finish what I started...

24-I thank God for evenings spent with friends sitting around the dining room table, drinking coffee, and talking of the things of the Lord.

25-I am thankful for friends who are faithful to God's call to share the gospel in far away places dark and desperate for the light of Christ. For them, obedience is far more important and of far greater value than comfort and security or any other lesser treasure this life offers--so they leave family and friends behind and go and tell...

26-I am thankful too for the kind of bond between friends that time and distance cannot weaken. Jesus makes our friendships richer!

27-I am grateful for home. This home, my and my husband's home, yes indeed--but I am also grateful for my parents' home and the opportunity to be there, with them, and with my sister and brother and their families.

28-I cannot mention Thanksgiving without being thankful for my mom's cooking. Yes and amen.

29-And, since I've already expressed my gratitude for my younger two, I am also thankful for being mom to my two oldest sons. They are now taller than me and quickly growing into men. My learning curve as a mom has been steep (and only getting steeper can I get an amen?) but what a ride! Motherhood is surely the most challenging and most rewarding call on my life. My boys have taught me my own frailties, yes, but also God's glorious sufficiency as well as what it is to love deeply, wholly and unreservedly. I thank God for allowing me the privilege of being a mom to each of my four priority blessings. What grace, what blessing.

Number One son at 6 and 15 years old:


Number 2 son at 5 and 13 years old:



The brothers together before a bicycle race this summer:


30-And, finally, I am thankful for the internet and for blogging and for those of you who have challenged and encouraged me through your thoughts and writings. I am glad for the opportunity blogging has given me to express my journey here in a forum like this. I am grateful for my friends and fellow bloggers, for our email conversations, and for our friendship that never would have existed apart from the world wide web. I am glad for you, the reader, and am humbled that you actually read these confessions and conundrums. As I struggle to decide where blogging falls in my real life priorities, I am encouraged to know there are women out there reading, ordinary women just like me seeking to serve the Lord Jesus as best they can in and through their ordinary lives. May the Lord return to you many times over the blessings you have extended to me through your visits, comments and emails!

Give thanks to the Lord for He is good! His love endures forever!

4 comments:

  1. Thankful for you too, Lisa. Your boys are a handsome crew. I'm huffing and puffing alongside of you in that steep learning curve. But, God is gracious. I keep remembering that, and usually through the vehicle of those boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so thankful for you! And thankful we got to meet IRL this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your thoughts, Lisa. Don't give it up!

    I know what you mean about being thankful for the blog. I wrote about that last week too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so enjoy reading your blog. I am a mother of 3 boys and struggle with many of the things you blog about. Thank you for taking the time to share. Your blog is truly a blessing to me.

    ReplyDelete