Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Who is sufficient?

This morning will be the last session of our current Bible study. We've been studying Hebrews using Nancy Guthrie's workbook, Hoping for Something Better. I am generally nostalgic as we come to the close of a Bible study unit and this time, this study, is no different. I've logged in several posts here at this site expressing my gratitude for my Bible study group and for the times we've spent together in God's Word and everything I've written before could be said here again, today.

Today I feel the same humility and gratitude, that same sense of being overwhelmed at the grace and goodness of God. Who am I that He would allow the privilege of not only being a part of such a group but to (presumably) lead it? And my friends and sisters who actually come--I tell them their presence is evidence of God's grace to me, to us all, and it humbles me when I think of it.

Today I also feel the urge to rewind, to start over, to do it all again only better. This study has been so rich, so good, so convicting, so full of those painful things that make Bible study what it ought to be, so Jesus-saturated and God-glorifying--that I know I didn't learn all I should have. It can't be over, part of me protests, because I have so much more to receive, so much more I didn't do...

I see today my failings as a Bible teacher and they are many. I wonder again at the Lord's call on my life and marvel that He is sufficient and I am not. I am obviously, painfully, humiliatingly not. I think of Paul's words in 2 Cor. 3:4-6 as he answers his own earlier question, "Who is sufficient for these things?" (2 Cor. 2:16)...

Such is the confidence that we have through Christ toward God. Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God who has made us competent to be ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit.

Who is sufficient? Not I. My confidence is through Christ and my sufficiency is only found in Him. He calls; He equips; He is faithful and He will do it.

To my friends who have been faithful to meet each Wednesday morning, I hope you know how thankful I am for you and for our shared journey through God's Word. I cannot wait to resume again in January and see what the Lord will do! HE is faithful!

3 comments:

  1. I can so relate to the feeling of inadequacy when it comes to Bible teaching or more simply Bible Study leading. So many times after our weekly sessions I just thank God that He put it all together despite my failings. Blessings on you as you enter this Advent season and look forward to Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. I'm thrilled to hear that you have enjoyed Guthrie's book so very much, but even more so the wondrous book of Hebrews. I'm looking forward to returning to it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so grateful that it is in our weakness and insufficiency that we become usable to God. He simply can't use us when we're filled up with ourselves.

    And I'm grateful to know that as you wrap up your study of Hebrews using Hoping for Something Better that you stand back in wonder and praise to how good he really is!

    ReplyDelete