Monday, January 18, 2010

How can I stand

Lord God Almighty,

Holy is thy wisdom, power, mercy, ways, works.

How can I stand before thee

with my numberless and aggravated offences?


I have often loved darkness,

observed lying vanities,


forsaken thy given mercies,


trampled underfoot thy beloved Son,


mocked thy providences,


flattered thee with my lips,


broken thy covenant.


It is of thy compassion that I am not consumed.

Lead me to repentance, and save me from despair;

Let me come to thee renouncing, condemning,

loathing myself,


but hoping in the grace that flows


even to the chief of sinners.


At the cross may I contemplate the evil of sin,

and abhor it,


look on him whom I pierced,


as one slain for me and by me. . .


Thus may my soul rest in thee, O immortal

and transcendent one,


revealed as thou art in the Person and work of thy Son,


the Friend of sinners.


--From The Valley of Vision:


A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions,


as quoted in Holiness by Nancy Leigh Demoss

2 comments:

  1. I'll be reading this more then once...
    Thanks for sharing it Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit, I haven't been reading a lot of blogs, lately. But, after briefly seeing you last night, I thought I'd check in on you. I didn't even know you had "moved".

    I'm glad you have discovered the world of thrifting. I do it often. I think of it as "hunting", ladies style because you never know what great deals you will find.

    ReplyDelete