Tuesday, February 02, 2010

The Week in Words



From Finally Alive by John Piper:


The new birth happens as we are brought into contact with the living and abiding word, the gospel. The first effect of this new birth is that we see and receive God and his Son and his work and his will as supremely valuable. That's faith. This faith overcomes the world, that is, it overcomes the enslaving power of the world to be our supreme treasure.

Faith breaks the enslaving spell of the world's allurement. In that way, faith leads us into obedience with freedom and joy. God and his holy will look beautiful and not burdensome. The new birth has taken the blinders off. We see things for what they really are. We are free to obey with joy.

May God confirm your spiritual reality--your new birth--by overcoming the seductive power of the world in your live. "Everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world--our faith."




The Week in Words is a weekly carnival hosted by my friend Melissa where participants post words and quotes from something they read that week. It can be anything: novels, magazines, the Bible. Click here to see others' words of the week and link up your own!

6 comments:

  1. WOW...GREAT quote! I'm reading Piper right now, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff! This book has been on my "to eventually get" list for a while. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a real good read...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quote! I love listening to John Piper...his Desiring God podcasts are among my favorites right now...but I have yet to read any of his books. Putting this on my "To Read" list right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a Piper book in my "to read" pile. I might have to move it closer to the top. Great quote!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent Quote! That was a really good book.

    ReplyDelete