Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Random Ruminations

1. I am surprised by how long it is taking me to write about my trip to Nicaragua. We've been back a month and I've only posted about two of the eight days we were there! And when I do finally sit down to write about it, I am surprised by just how many words it takes me to write about it. The posts are few but they are l o n g...

2. I am weary of fighting the good fight that comprises being a mom to two teenagers and a preteen (and a tween also, but I think he still likes me). It's as if a perpetual cloud of grouchiness has descended on our home, myself included. It is tiring.

3. It is spring break this week. Not only are we grouchy, but we are grouchy together. All week long.

4. For some reason, I always feel like spring break should be spent in the accomplishment of major projects around the house. Why that is, I have no idea. The strange thing is, I always feel like I should but I never really do. This week, however, I'd hoped to at least clean out the cabinets, a project I started Monday but haven't completed. Yet.

5. Possibly related to #2 above: I need to see some sunshine. This gray-ness is getting to me! I don't mind the cold, but the sun? I need it!

6. Possibly related to #2 and 3 above: I feel like I've been moving in slow motion! The time change, the gray and dreary weather, the grouchy teenagers, all contribute to a lethargy that is difficult to overcome. Today, however, I am determined. I will get the grocery shopping done and I will clean out more cabinets. That, or sit on the sofa and read a book. It's a toss up at this point.

7. Definitely related to all of the above: "May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience WITH JOY..." (Col. 1:11) Yes, Lord! Grant me Your strength and Your power so that I may persevere in joy, overflowing with gratitude for Your grace and mercy!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, dear. It won't be long and I'll be in the same boat you're in now -- four teens under one roof. And two of mine are GIRLS! I hope you're preparing some notes for me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So - this is it? Grouchy when they are little, some fun years in between, and then teenagerhood?! =D Ok, I know some days are better than others.

    Thanks for admitting the grouchiness.

    Praying that the sun shines down a little for you here soon! (Isn't there SUPPOSED to be sun during spring break?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, I know this might come as a shock to you (considering how much I completely and fully grieved my older sons going off to college), but when they were both home last week for spring break, I was counting down the days until they returned. With two still at home, and their return, well, the noise level in my house exponentially increased. It nearly did me in. I love all of my kids, but the older I get, the more necessary my "quiet" becomes. I sometimes feel guilty about it all, but then I remember how many other mommas are struggling along these lines, and somehow, I am comforted by that reality.

    Hang in there. Spring was in full bloom over here today... in the 80's! I'm not a fan of hot weather, but I do love some sunshine.

    Blessed Sabbath rest to you and yours.

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry about the grouchiness. We're starting to see little glimpses of that (although I think I'm still my tween's favorite person)... I'm starting to be concerned about those teen years.

    I'm with you on the sunshine. Too many gray, dreary days (such as the kind we're having today) and I become very lethargic and very grouchy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So - this is it? Grouchy when they are little, some fun years in between, and then teenagerhood?! =D Ok, I know some days are better than others.

    Thanks for admitting the grouchiness.

    Praying that the sun shines down a little for you here soon! (Isn't there SUPPOSED to be sun during spring break?)

    ReplyDelete