Sunday, March 07, 2010

The Week in Words



From Dug Down Deep by Joshua Harris:

"The irony of my story--and I suppose it often works this way--is that the very things I needed, even longed for in my relationship with God, were wrapped up in the very things I was so sure could do me no good. I didn't understand that such seemingly worn-out words as theology, doctrine and orthodoxy were the pathway to the mysterious, awe-filled experience of truly knowing the living Jesus Christ.


They told the story of the Person I longed to know."


And I love this quote, also from Dug Down Deep:

"If I love the Cross only for what it does for me, I will have reduced it to a monument to myself. But the greatest glory of the Cross is what it tells me about God. A God of justice and mercy. A God who loved helpless sinners like me so much that he came to die so we could be free to know and worship him for eternity."

5 comments:

  1. Amen and amen! Two great quotes!

    Another book for my 'to read' list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quotes!! I'm going to get this book now. Thanks, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both very powerful quotes. This is the second one on the cross I've read today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both very good quotes! I've heard a lot of good things about that book.

    ReplyDelete