Thursday, April 08, 2010

How does this passage point to Christ?

From Let the Reader Understand: A Guide to Interpreting and Applying the Bible,

Ultimately, any interpretation of a biblical passage is incomplete until it asks:

1. How does this passage function in God's plan of redemption for his people, and where does it fit into the unfolding of that plan in history?

2. How does the passage point to Jesus Christ; i.e., how does this (OT) passage participate in the entire OT's movement toward, and focus on, Jesus Christ; or, how does this (NT) passage build on the fulfillment of God's plan in Jesus Christ?

3. How does this passage, having been focused on Christ, instruct those who are in Christ, the church; how does it help us to follow him, know him, or grow in him?

7 comments:

  1. Ah, one of my favorite books. I was just thinking the other day that I need to re-read this boo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am putting this book on my Amazon wish list today. I love the hermeunetics training I have received. This would be a real bonus. Keep sharing what you're learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldnt agree more this was an excellent post. if we cant have a christ centered message that what is the use!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right onto my wish list too! Thank you for sharing what you're learning from the book. These questions are great ones to keep in mind as we read the Bible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a great book. I LOVE that you have a Hermeneutics tag -- ha!

    ReplyDelete