Thursday, April 29, 2010

Thankfulness on Thursday: Beauty from Ashes

I have so much to be grateful for that I scarcely know where to begin. For these, and so much more, I am thankful...

I am so grateful for the Lord's mercy that spared us any loss of life in Saturday's tornado.

I'm thankful for the many, many volunteers giving of their time, their chainsaws, and the strength of their backs to help those who suffered damage.

I'm grateful for the local businesses doing what they can to serve our community, businesses like Domino's that delivered free pizzas to volunteers and victims both, businesses like the local Powerhouse Gym allowing football players to come work out for free. These are just a couple of examples; there are so many others helping out in so many ways.

My son played in the first round of the state soccer playoffs Tuesday. It was an out of town game and I'm thankful for those fans from the opposing team who stopped to ask about us and allowed us to tell our story. I'm glad for the pre game prayer that beseeched God on our behalf via loudspeaker.

I am thankful for the compassionate and strong leadership exhibited by our school superintendent. I am glad for school administrators and educators working together to develop a plan to serve the students of our city despite the very worst of conditions.

I am thankful as well for our other city officials: the mayor, police chief, fire chief and others doing what is necessary to keep us safe and maintain some semblance of normalcy.

I am grateful for the many stories of survival and service. I thank God for the spirit of unity that reaches across previous dividing lines and for the resiliency embraced by my fellow citizens.

Yesterday, as we looked out over the span of the damage caused by the tornado, shocked and humbled by the devastation, someone remarked to me that we have seen only a fraction of the Lord's power. Indeed. It boggles the mind. However, we have seen His mercy multiplied many times over. He is good. He is gracious. His steadfast love never ends. To God be the glory!

4 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful show of thanks. I'm trying to start a thankful hashtag movement on twitter. Would you like to join in? Hashtag is #thursthanks

    http://recoveringprocrastinator.wordpress.com/2010/04/29/thursthanks12/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God from Whom all blessings flow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well said!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your thankfulness for God's blessings in the midst of such devastation brings tears to my eyes. I am thankful for you and your heart for Him, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete