Friday, July 02, 2010

Friday's Fave Five



My blog friend Carrie recently posted a list of summer reading recommendations. Ever the innovator (or, not), I thought I'd share some of my own favorite titles, incorporating my list into Susanne's weekly Friday Fave Five carnival. Five fiction recommendations and five non fiction in no particular order from my ever growing list of (far more than five) favorite books:

FIVE FAVORITE FICTION/MEMOIR TITLES
1. I Will Carry You: The Sacred Dance of Grief and Joy by Angie Smith. Read it with a tissue handy.

2. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford. Loved it.

3. Ava's Man by Rick Bragg. Read it for Bragg's beautiful prose.

4. Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley. Carrie recommended it to me and now I recommend it to you. A sweet story that is in many ways remarkably similar to the Disney film. I loved it.

5. For pure fun, Pamela Aiden's Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman trilogy. Yeah, it's fan fiction, Pride and Prejudice style, but, like I said, it's fun. The second in the series is not my favorite but the first, An Assembly Such as This and third, These Three Remain are perfect summer reads for the Jane Austen fan who doesn't take herself too seriously.

FIVE FAVORITE NON FICTION TITLES
1. Spiritual Depression: Its Causes and Cure by D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones: Okay, so I'm reading this one now but I can already tell you-it's an important book. Well worth the investment in time and money.

2. Dug Down Deep: Unearthing What I Believe and Why It Matters by Joshua Harris. An informal though weighty look at doctrine and theology.

3. The Long Way Home: An American Journey from Ellis Island to the Great War by David Laskin. History buffs will find this interesting and intriguing.

4. What Is the Gospel? by Greg Gilbert. An primer on the most basic of questions: what's so good about the good news?

5. Rescuing Ambition by Dave Harvey. A fantastic encouragement to godly ambition that is downwardly mobile.

What are your favorites of the week, bookish or otherwise? Link up at Susanne's and check out other favorites!

16 comments:

  1. Oooh, book recommendations! My favorite. Thanks for sharing. (Oh and yes, I read Hood. Liked it fairly well so I moved onto book 2)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, right now I'm reading Velvet Elvis. Have you heard of it? I'm going to give you my best blank stare but there's some eyebrow wiggling going on as well. Next up I SERIOUSLY want to read Dug, Down Deep in RESPONSE to this piece of work.

    I can't wait to see your review of Rescuing Ambition! I really liked it. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I read Beauty. I enjoyed it too. Not really anything new, but still fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ava's Man and Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet are both at my library! Thanks for the recommendations.

    I'm on a roll of good fiction. Just finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and am reading Crossing to Safety and enjoyed/enjoying both. All four books are set in the Depression/WWII era, which is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought for sure Radical would be in your Top Five NF! LOL

    I'm always interested in what you're reading and enjoying!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Guernsey! Will definitely be looking for Crossing to Safety!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scarlet is my favorite of the trilogy. Hood is good; Scarlet is better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Radical is definitely a favorite! Actually my list isn't so much a "Top Five" but rather "Five from among many"--indeed who could choose only five all time favorites? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read Angie Smith's book - it's great, and you're right, you need a tissue.

    I like your idea about leaving reviews of books for favorites. As a book lover, I'm always ready to see what's out there that I might want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, what a fun Fave Five - book recommendations. I love seeing what others are reading. Thanks for the recommendations. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love having a list of books to read. I need to pull out my library card so I can reserve some of these books right away!

    Thanks for the great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lisa!
    Great idea for fave 5! I'm trying to remember if I've read the third book in the Hood series....Oh it is weird getting older...I have all three just don't know if I've read all 3 :0)
    Have a great 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love book recommendations. I'll be putting some of these on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmm - I loved that version of Beauty and the Beast.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmm - I loved that version of Beauty and the Beast.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So, right now I'm reading Velvet Elvis. Have you heard of it? I'm going to give you my best blank stare but there's some eyebrow wiggling going on as well. Next up I SERIOUSLY want to read Dug, Down Deep in RESPONSE to this piece of work.

    I can't wait to see your review of Rescuing Ambition! I really liked it. A lot.

    ReplyDelete