Friday, July 02, 2010
Friday's Fave Five
My blog friend Carrie recently posted a list of summer reading recommendations. Ever the innovator (or, not), I thought I'd share some of my own favorite titles, incorporating my list into Susanne's weekly Friday Fave Five carnival. Five fiction recommendations and five non fiction in no particular order from my ever growing list of (far more than five) favorite books:
FIVE FAVORITE FICTION/MEMOIR TITLES
1. I Will Carry You: The Sacred Dance of Grief and Joy by Angie Smith. Read it with a tissue handy.
2. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford. Loved it.
3. Ava's Man by Rick Bragg. Read it for Bragg's beautiful prose.
4. Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley. Carrie recommended it to me and now I recommend it to you. A sweet story that is in many ways remarkably similar to the Disney film. I loved it.
5. For pure fun, Pamela Aiden's Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman trilogy. Yeah, it's fan fiction, Pride and Prejudice style, but, like I said, it's fun. The second in the series is not my favorite but the first, An Assembly Such as This and third, These Three Remain are perfect summer reads for the Jane Austen fan who doesn't take herself too seriously.
FIVE FAVORITE NON FICTION TITLES
1. Spiritual Depression: Its Causes and Cure by D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones: Okay, so I'm reading this one now but I can already tell you-it's an important book. Well worth the investment in time and money.
2. Dug Down Deep: Unearthing What I Believe and Why It Matters by Joshua Harris. An informal though weighty look at doctrine and theology.
3. The Long Way Home: An American Journey from Ellis Island to the Great War by David Laskin. History buffs will find this interesting and intriguing.
4. What Is the Gospel? by Greg Gilbert. An primer on the most basic of questions: what's so good about the good news?
5. Rescuing Ambition by Dave Harvey. A fantastic encouragement to godly ambition that is downwardly mobile.
What are your favorites of the week, bookish or otherwise? Link up at Susanne's and check out other favorites!