Friday, July 09, 2010

In which I pretend I am writing a decorating blog

So, as you know, we have been blessed with new hardwood floors, thanks to Whirlpool (who manufactured a fridge that would leak ten years after it was purchased) and our homeowner's policy (that covers damaged wood floors due to leaky fridges). You may remember this is what we were dealing with:


Here's my den with the new floors. Note the old, ratty sofas worn out after ten years of the kind of use and abuse that can only be delivered by a family of six (5 of which are male, enough said):


Behold, the old is gone!


The new has come!


Yes, new floors AND new sofas! I'm fighting to not place my joy in the temporal things of this world but I'll have to admit to you: it sure is fun, getting new stuff. While it lasts.

And, because it's my blog and I want you all to know how cheap I am (new sofas notwithstanding), I give you the following synopsis of my decor (if it could rightly be called such):

  • The end table with drawers we saved from the dumpster when my husband's grandmother died.

  • The botanical print was a wedding gift.

  • The floor lamp I got on clearance at KMart for maybe $15.

  • The wooden shelves my sister gave me.

  • The dishes on the shelves also salvaged from my husband's grandmother's stuff doomed for the dumpster and some my mom gave me.

  • My mom made the curtains and the pillows on the sofa as a birthday present for me a few years ago.

  • The black endtable my mother in law gave us when we got married and had zero furniture. It was brown, shiny laminate that I painted many, many years ago, recently touched up.

  • The lamp on the black table also a KMart clearance item bought so long ago I have no idea how much I spent.

  • The armoire my parents asked us to store for them many years ago and, well, we still have it. Funny how that works.

  • The coffee table we purchased from Service Merchandise (y'all remember Service Merchandise?) more than ten years ago. How do you like the Nester green?


Here's a close up of my painted pine table.


  • The tray a gift from my sister.

  • The wire basket from my sister also. Bless her heart, she and mom both work hard to keep me all decorated and such.


Oh, and while I'm posting pictures (anyone still reading?), here's the other coffee table I painted last week, the one I bought at a thrift store for $19. I put it in our living room/computer room/library. I don't have a before shot but it was pretty bad.



So there you go: my brief venture into the world of decorating. As I told you before, it is sure to be short-lived, and actually if you could see the rest of my house you would no doubt tell me to put down the paint brush and pick up the vacuum already. Before I do so, in order to make myself feel better and less guilty about such a spiritually anemic post, I will remind myself of the following....


Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions. (Luke 12:13)



But to whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. (Philip. 3:7-8)



Jesus is better than new sofas and new floors! Yes and amen!

23 comments:

  1. Oooh, I love all of your pieces! You don't give yourself enough credit for putting together a room well. I do think you're a brave woman for choosing white couches. A brave woman. Or you paid for scotch guard. Which is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I love the floors...and I am trying very hard not covet them, because that would be bad. ;) I've always loved the look of wood floors...our old house had the fake (laminate) kind, which worked for me, but I had to leave them behind when we moved. :(

    And, second (because apparently I'm feeling wordy this morning), I agree with the verses that you posted at the end, but I don't think this was a "spiritually anemic" post. And, this is coming from someone who has zero decorating ability, and has only bought one item of furniture in my entire adult/married life (EVERYthing we own is hand-me-down!), so... But, as I've been reading more about the role of wives and homemakers recently, I think that caring for our home (and family) in this way - making it comfortable and, yes, attractive, is very much a spiritual thing. Not that we all need the decorating talent of the HGTV people...but, isn't this just one of the more practical ways we can be obedient to "look well to the ways of our household"?

    Sorry for rambling on so. :) Love the room!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slipcovers, my friend. Love them, though I haven't (yet) attempted to launder these. I've had slipcovers before (my mom made them for us to cover some sofas my sister in law gave us) and they were GREAT with the kids. Kool aid spill? Throw up? No problem! Throw them in the wash! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your rambling---ramble on anytime, my friend!

    Like you, we've purchased very little furniture brand new. Actually only a few items come to mind! We have been blessed!

    And, I agree with your point that caring for our homes is indeed a spiritual matter. Thank you for reminding me and encouraging me with that truth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Jesus would be comfortable sitting in your newly put together room with some old stuff and new stuff combined. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE it! LOVE it! And you did a good job pretending to be a decorating blog! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was going to comment on the white couches with four boys, then I saw your reply about slipcovers! LOL

    I love how the room looks! So bright and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks lovely, Lisa. God's good, homey gifts are to be enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that black coffee table! So cute. Your house is adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it, love it, love it! How pretty. You would never guess 5 men live there :)

    If I had two women making sure I was keeping appropriately decorated, it would definitely be your mom and sister. Talk about beautiful tastes and the ability to do so much for so little!

    Also, really enjoyed all the pictures. You know me a picture is worth a bunch of words....not sure it's a thousand, but definitely a lot.

    Hope y'all are well. Tell your hubby I appreciated his comments (sort of) about James being a Cat 4. Yikes....scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cat 4 is awesome!

    I'm not a very good photographer so your comments on liking the pics are greatly appreciated! :-)

    And yeah, my mom and my sister are definitely paragons of good taste, as you well know--I am so glad they take pity on me from time to time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jesus is definitely better... but He's so good to give us salvation AND fun homey stuff to enjoy while we're here =).
    I can totally relate to the mom/sister thing too, though mine provide help in the clothing department. My house is okay, my wardrobe... would be quite dull without them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! I'm struggling with feeling a little guilt about being too happy w/temporal things at the moment, too. My new house.....I really love it. I feel guilty about it, too. But I think Laura is right - we can enjoy the fun homey stuff as His gift, too. Thanks for sharing the pictures!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How fun to peek into your home! Makes me wish I lived closer so we could enjoy the new furniture & a cup of coffee in front of the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really beautiful. The "synopsis of my decor" was a great compliment to the photos! I'm impressed. And if I had white slipcovers, they would spend more time in the wash than on the sofas. Just sayin. I've got two children...and two black cats.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! I'll be over for coffee right away. :) (I wish!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's so great Lisa. Your living room is lovely, and I do love the detail you gave in explaining how and where things came from.

    I am looking for the right endtables for our living room. The ones we are/were using were bought for our first home 15 years ago. They LOOK like they were bought in the 90's, and I've started to dislike them. Add to that they they also LOOK like two children grew up banging on them.

    They match my daughter's room, which we recently redid, and she needed a nightstand, so I moved one there over a month ago, and then replaced that spot with this really ratty (broken actually) table, just so we'd have a place to set our books and coffee.

    I'm looking for some, but haven't had too much luck. You've inspired me a bit. I "need" new lamps, too, and yes, I'm well aware that our needs are really wants.

    Ah, to have the natural knack. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lisa your new home and your new blog home are lovely. Just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love, love, love the new look! Brave girl you are going with white but it sure looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been doing some touch up work at our parsonage; lots of painting and stripping of wallpaper, along with scouring the local antique shops for bargains (mostly cheap linens and doilies to fit with my antiques... which I also get on the cheap). After moving, I decided to be more careful about my purchases... not spending a lot so that when we have to move again, I can easily part with most purchases made.

    I think you're brave to go with white. I purchased a new couch, but I'm not letting anyone eat on it yet... I'm sure that will change with time.

    Everything looks lovely. I wish I were more creative, but alas, it's just not me. But I can clean...

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been doing some touch up work at our parsonage; lots of painting and stripping of wallpaper, along with scouring the local antique shops for bargains (mostly cheap linens and doilies to fit with my antiques... which I also get on the cheap). After moving, I decided to be more careful about my purchases... not spending a lot so that when we have to move again, I can easily part with most purchases made.

    I think you're brave to go with white. I purchased a new couch, but I'm not letting anyone eat on it yet... I'm sure that will change with time.

    Everything looks lovely. I wish I were more creative, but alas, it's just not me. But I can clean...

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that black coffee table! So cute. Your house is adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE it! LOVE it! And you did a good job pretending to be a decorating blog! =)

    ReplyDelete