Thursday, July 01, 2010

Status Report, July

Sitting...out on the porch. It's a nice morning, for July. There's even a breeze. It's pleasant.

Drinking...coffee, black.

Missing...my two youngest boys. They are spending the week at my parents'. I will go get them this weekend.

Returning...to blogging, maybe? I don't know yet. Perhaps.

Reading...Spiritual Depression by Lloyd-Jones. Good stuff, a must-read for any believer struggling with the fight for joy, which I'm thinking is probably all of us at some point in our lives. He pulls no punches and dispenses Truth with the kind of blunt straight talk I need. I like it.

Also reading...Joy, one of Lydia Browback's devotionals. Do you sense a theme going on?

Loving...my new hardwood floors. Love them. They are so pretty, making one thankful for a leaky fridge and a good homeowner's policy! Maybe I will post pics sometime soon.

Pretending...I am the Nester. Do you read the Nester's blog? She's inspired me to various and sundry decorating projects around the house. What? Me? Projects? Yeah, I know! Crazy, isn't it? I've been painting an old beat up coffee table I bought at our local Downtown Rescue Mission thrift store. It's black. I'm also painting another coffee table, one of the Spanish pine tables that were so popular in the early 90's; in true Nester fan fashion, I chose the grey green she painted her pine armoire. It's a little out of the box for me but I think I like it. We are also retiring our old, beat up sofas and getting new--I'm excited!

Wondering...when and why I started caring about my house and its decor. It's about time but I imagine it's a phase that will pass soon enough!

Watching...the World Cup and terribly disappointed in the US's loss last week. As you know, we are a house-full of soccer fans! And then there's "the Tour" (de France) that begins Saturday. We are also a house-full of cycling fans! So much sporting excitement!

Anticipating...a trip to San Diego with my husband in a few weeks. California! I've never been to San Diego or to California or anywhere on the west coast. I still can't believe we're going!

Stressing...over the logistical nightmare that accompanies my husband and I both being out of town. Complicated doesn't begin to describe it.

Praying...for wisdom and strength to persevere in parenting. It only gets harder, doesn't it?

Remembering...the events of July two years ago, the heartbreaking roller coaster ride of grief and disappointment, of obedience and the Lord's gracious provision. A church split is hard, an understatement if there ever was one; a church plant isn't easy either. But the Lord is good and He is faithful! I am glad He brought us here and I am glad too for the friendships that have persisted through it all. I love my church and I profoundly thankful to be a part of the work the Lord is doing in and through us; I will continue to love my old church as well. Indeed, how can I not? We served the Lord together for many years! May the Lord use both faith families to reach our community with the gospel of Jesus Christ! To God be the glory!

Realizing...it's already 9:30 and I must get up and get busy (but don't you love those occasional lazy mornings?). I am reluctant to come in; it's so nice out here on the porch! On today's to-do list: purchase paint and primer for my son's room and begin painting. I may also go look at fabric to either re-upholster or slipcover a chair in the den. No, I won't be doing any upholstery or sewing of slipcovers myself; I do have my limits!

7 comments:

  1. Lisa,

    Happy to see you blogging again. We were disappointed by the World Cup too :( And we are also Tour de France nuts. We live north of San Francisco, I don't know anything about San Diego, but if you are heading anywhere this direction at all let me know and I can give you some info.
    I am drinking black coffee too ... couldn't possibly start the morning without it.
    I read that Lloyd-Jones book many years ago, probably a good time to think about reading it again.
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm so glad you finally get to come to the West Coast! Parenting never gets easier it just gets different. :0) Oh we were so disappointed with the U.S.A.'s loss, too. UGH...
    I'm missing my morning cup of soccer these last couple of days :0)
    Speaking of churches...we still haven't found one to plant our feet into. So discouraging some times...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey friend... my life has been a blur as of late. We moved a week ago and are desperately trying to settle into our new life here. Managing the emotions of it all has been a tremendous burden for me. New town; new church; new home; new friends I hope to one day have; new pavement to explore and run. The list is endless, and because I haven't done this in 6 years, I've forgotten a bit of the strain. Of course, the kids are older now, and my oldest two boys have just yesterday, returned from a two-week mission trip to Bolivia.

    I can't even begin to tell you the "rearrangement" I've had to do in my heart to make this "move" fit with me. I'm not even sure I'm there yet, but by God's grace and because of his heart anchoring with mine, I will live to see the beauty in all of this. It's just plain hard right now.

    Anyway, thanks for listening. Just wanted to check in with you. Blessings and peace to you and your household as you traverse these desert days of summer.

    ~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well even if you don't blog on a regular basis, it's nice to get a snapshot every now and again.

    So glad you are enjoying your new wood floors!

    Has it already been two years? Wow. I like your thoughts here.

    Have fun picking up your boys and enjoying a 4th of July weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your status reports. And I have an addition:

    Checking....Linda's updated Super Sweet Giveaway Post and seeing that I won! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I left my heart in San Diego. What do you want to know? I could come up with recommendations for the next 12 hours (and that's just a warm-up), but it would probably do you more good if I knew where you were headed/staying/interested in.

    :-)

    Love,

    Kelly, Your San Diego Tour Guide

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for your status reports!

    Can't believe it's been two years already.

    Hope you have a wonderful trip! Can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete