Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Transparency in Blogging: Real Life, Real Kitchen

A couple of you have asked about me posting pictures of my kitchen painting project. Because I aim to please--and because I'm game for any and all posting ideas, keep 'em coming--I thought I'd offer the following shots of my kitchen, with something of a disclaimer. I did not clean up my kitchen prior to taking the pictures; this is as it really is and how we really live. Transparency in blogging, as in real life, that's my goal. Also, I am sort of at the middle of the end of the project in that I have yet to replace all my knick knacky things and pictures and such. See, here's a shot of my kitchen knick knacks hanging out on my dining room table while they await a more permanent home in my kitchen:

Anyone want to come over and help out the knick knack decorating challenged?

Okay, so it didn't occur to me to take a "before" shot but here's a couple of pictures where you can sort of see the former gold/yellow color. It's a great color and I like it but it's been there for eight or nine years or so as well as in the kitchen in my old house before that. In other words, I was tired of it and ready for a change.

Me and two of my guys before we headed out to an Auburn game last fall. Here it looks more yellow than it was:
Two of my nieces at my son's sixteenth birthday party. Aren't they cuties?


Anyway, that's as it was.

Here's some "after" shots, and remember they are un-retouched, un-styled, and un-cleaned up. Our real kitchen, as it were. If you can't tell, the color's a stone/linen color ("Stone 2" from the Laura Ashley collection at Lowe's). I think it goes much better with the linoleum and I really like the neutral backdrop.

That island is a clutter magnet!


See, I didn't even clear off the table nor straighten out the runner:

Here's my new coffee pot that I had to buy yesterday because my other one died mid-brew.


And, like before with my den, I have to let you know how cheap I am...
  • The toile curtains in the breakfast area I got on clearance from Target probably 6 or 8 years ago. 
  • The buffalo check toppers on the French doors were left here in one of the bedrooms by the previous owners.
  • The black Hoosier cabinet was given to us by my husband's grandmother years ago. It wasn't black when we got it; I painted it.
  • The table and chairs are one of my mom's discoveries that we purchased for not very much money from a junk store where she lives. She refinished the table and recovered the chair seats for me.
There you have it! If anyone cares to do a knick knack consultation, you can let me know!

12 comments:

  1. I love it! Wishing I had the gumption to do something like that in my house. (And I'm completely jealous of the toile curtains)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you're as decorating challenged as you believe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooo! Now I really wanna' come over for coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone. . . .

    I am so decorating-challenged, but I love what you've done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the new color! You did all of it by yourself?! I'm impressed. Painting is a hard job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am suffering from Hoosier cabinet envy. Love those things! Sorry, I am no knick knack consultant. I say the less to dust (when and if I dust) the better. But the new color is great. So I think a decorator type would advise, "Add pops of color!"

    There, feel all helped? Yes, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the neutral color on the walls and how it contrasts with your dark counter tops and appliances! Looks very good!
    I'm always one that says to fill your spaces with the things that you really love; the things that make your home "home" to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! You did a great job, both with the actual painting and choosing the color. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how I love real life!!

    And you DID inspire me. I am a lazy blogger, but I have before and after pictures of how I spruced up my living room. I will get them posted!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how I love real life!!

    And you DID inspire me. I am a lazy blogger, but I have before and after pictures of how I spruced up my living room. I will get them posted!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the neutral color on the walls and how it contrasts with your dark counter tops and appliances! Looks very good!
    I'm always one that says to fill your spaces with the things that you really love; the things that make your home "home" to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am suffering from Hoosier cabinet envy. Love those things! Sorry, I am no knick knack consultant. I say the less to dust (when and if I dust) the better. But the new color is great. So I think a decorator type would advise, "Add pops of color!"

    There, feel all helped? Yes, not so much.

    ReplyDelete