Monday, September 13, 2010

Remembrances and Celebrations

It's Monday and instead of something like real posting, it's another mish mash of reflections and remembrances...

As you know, Saturday marked nine years since the terrorist attack at the World Trade Center in New York. Like all of us, I will never forget that morning. After dropping my older two boys off at school, I took my third son to a friend's house to spend the day. On our way home from my friend's house, I heard the puzzling report on the radio that a plane had hit one of the twin towers at the Word Trade Center in New York. Once home, I turned on the T.V. and saw the second plane hit in real time. Shocked and horrified I called my husband at work to tell him and like everyone else spent the rest of the day--and the days to come--glued to the television, my grief and shock growing with every news update. I am still shocked and grieved as I remember those who lost their lives so tragically...

Yesterday marked a different anniversary of sorts: my second son turned fifteen and my husband celebrated 42 years. It was a full day of church and soccer and church again but still we managed to work in some cake and gifts. It's hard to believe that fifteen years ago our little family of three became a family of four, and on my husband's birthday at that! He's always said it's the best birthday present he could receive. Our number two son brings such joy (and laughter) to us! Here are the birthday boys fifteen years ago:

And here they are on their 42nd and 15th birthdays respectively:

A day definitely worth celebrating! I am so very thankful for them both!

And so the mish mash of life continues today, Monday, with grocery shopping, laundry (always and forever), preparing to lead a devotion tonight, and the rather dubious honor of taking my newly-turned fifteen year old to get his driver's permit. Such is life: grief and joy, tragedy and celebration, and, in between, the day-to-day ordinary obligations. We remember the tragic, we rejoice in the blessings, and we live each day in the grace the Lord provides through it all.

2 comments: