Friday, October 01, 2010

Friday's Fave Five


So it's Friday which means Susanne is hosting her weekly round up, Friday's Fave Five, whereby participants post five favorites things of the week. I'm not a very consistent Fave Five post-er, but because it's fall and I love fall and one of my favorite things about fall is making soup, I thought I'd post five of my favorite soup recipes and/or links. So, here's my Friday Fave Five, the Soup edition...

1. Santa Fe Soup--probably the easiest thing you could ever make and it utilizes my favorite of all kitchen appliances: the crock pot.

2. Chicken Tortilla Soup--I think it's my favorite soup that I make and again, it's super easy thanks to the wonder that is the crock pot. Oh and you must eat it with a dollop of sour cream on top. It's essential.

3. Cottage Chicken and Wild Rice Soup--While I don't technically make this soup in my crock pot (gasp!) I do however cook my chicken in it which is way easier, in my opinion, than boiling the chicken. Anyway, this recipe is delicious!

4. Chicken Noodle Soup--This recipe came from my mom who got it from one of her friends. It's a little different than your usual chicken noodle recipes, what with the brocoli cheese soup, but it's one of my family's favorites. True confessions: I've made it several times and every single time I've let the pot boil over and make a HUGE mess. HUGE. Every.single.time. So a word to the wise: be careful!

CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP

Whole chicken (or 3-4 breasts)
Onion
1-12oz can evaporated milk
2 cans broccoli cheese soup
1 package medium egg noodles
Butter (My mom uses a whole stick but you can adjust to preference)
Salt
Pepper

Boil chicken with the onion (or you can cook in the crock pot), seasoned to taste
Remove chicken and chop
Bring broth, butter, milk and soups to a boil. I generally add more broth (one of the 4 cup boxes) and some water to fill my 6 qt pot about 2/3 to 3/4 full.
Cook noodles in the broth mixture according to package but do not drain
Add chicken and heat through.

5. Shrimp and Corn Soup--This recipe comes from my friend and pastor's wife (and cook extraordinaire). It's easy but really good. And I don't know what it is about shrimp but I always feel like I'm cooking something really elegant if it has shrimp in it. Elegant may be debatable, at least when it comes to my cooking, but this soup is delicious. And guess what: no crock pot!

SHRIMP AND CORN SOUP

1 large onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 sticks of butter
1 Tablespoon bacon drippings (or you can use bacon bits)
4 cans cream of celery soup
4 cans cream style corn
1 can white shoepeg corn
2 cans of RoTel tomatoes
1/2 to 1 pint whipping cream
2-4 lbs of shrimp (I use the frozen)

Saute onion and pepper in butter over medium heat. Add bacon drippings (or bits) and RoTel. Stir and cook about ten minutes. Add soups, corn and 1 1/2 soup cans of water. Bring to simmer, cook about 20 minutes. Add shrimp; simmer for about 20 minutes until shrimp are tender and mixture is creamy. Stir often. Add whipping cream to desired consistency/creaminess.

Note: Since I use the frozen shrimp, I simmer the soup a little longer prior to adding the shrimp and then only heat the soup long enough for the shrimp to heat through.

Enjoy!

Check out other favorites at Susanne's blog Living to Tell the Story!

15 comments:

  1. I love your Chicken Tortilla Soup. When you posted it a while back I tried it and it has become a favorite at our house. I'll have to try your others. The Chicken Noodle looks especially interesting. I'm always ready for good soup recipes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. What a great post. I’ll be back to snag some of your soup recipes because I have NONE of my own. Travesty, I know. I’m not a very adventurous cook. Keep enjoying the wonderful weather we've had lately. I’ve loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm..you've almost sold me on the idea that soup can be edible and tasty! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with sour cream on the tortilla soup! And some monterey jack cheese, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness... well, I don't seem to see a recipe on there that FITS my diet plan... but perhaps I can modify a few (translates leave out the butter!)...LOL! Actually - the cottage chicken and wild rice looks light and I LOVE wild rice! What a great five!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love soups in cooler weather. I'll have to come back to these in a few weeks when the temps drop. The chicken and wild rice one sounds especially good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful idea to post five favourite soups and recipes for all. I like the Santa fe soup it sounds like my kind of soup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its getting to be soup time of year again, so cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a joke among my friends that when we go out to a restaurant, I will ALWAYS order soup! I love soup! Thanks for the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for these recipes - I want to try them all!

    Happy FFF!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are the winner at my place! I will write you an email soon.

    Happy reading, happy weekend!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a huge soup and a huge crockpot fan so I'm going to definitely be giving these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We've been having "soup weather" lately -- cool and rainy, which makes me want something warm and hearty. These sound like they'd hit the spot. And the crockpot is always a plus! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lisa, I tried your homemade chicken noodle soup and it was delicious! I'm posting about it on FFF today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We've been having "soup weather" lately -- cool and rainy, which makes me want something warm and hearty. These sound like they'd hit the spot. And the crockpot is always a plus! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete