Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Status Report, December

Sitting...on the sofa in our den. The tree in here is decorated with all the boys' ornaments they have either made or collected over the years. My mom gives them each an ornament each year so that plus the various popsicle stick and thumb print creations make for a full, albeit eclectic, tree decor. I love it.

Drinking...coffee, black. Yeah, in the middle of the afternoon.

Resting...a few minutes before I get in car line. I spent the day shopping with a couple of friends--great fun!--but now I am lagging somewhat. Fun is exhausting sometimes!

Glad...for friends and shopping. I haven't spent a day like this with girlfriends in ages. I like it. We even went to Hobby Lobby and it wasn't stressful in the least!

Missing...my youngest son, already. He leaves today for a four day/three night field trip. He will have a great time if his level of excited anticipation is any indicator! But I will miss him. Call me a stick in the mud but I just like my kids at home. With me.

Surprised...that not only did I not post a November status report I almost forgot December as well! Three December posts and I only just now thought of a status report! Big thanks to Staci of Writing and Living and Rebekah of Sweet Tea for reminding me by posting their own status reports. Thanks for the jump start, girls!

Decorating...for Christmas done. Finis. Earlier than usual and quite proud of myself.

Shopping...almost done, and nearly all online. Yay for the internet and for amazon!

Reading...not much of anything. About to finish reading the Bible through in a year, for the second year in a row. I am reading some of Nancy Guthrie's advent selections in Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus  (good stuff!). Still working on Women's Ministry and the Local Church. I had thought I might make to 100 books read this year but don't think I'll quite get there. Curious as to how many I've read, exactly? Click the Reading tab above to see my tally of titles read this year.

Wanting...something good to read. Something really good. Like really, really good. Any recommendations?

Sharing...the sofa with a certain puppy that is spoiled rotten, though less so than she might have been because lately she's been bad to the tune of three accidents yesterday. Bad girl!

Enjoying...basketball season. I like football, I like soccer. I like to watch any and everything my boys are involved in but to me basketball is some kind of intense. I don't know if I like it the best but I do like the intensity of its fast pace.

Remembering...the fun (and the fatigue) of Christmases past when the boys were little. My sister had the audacity to remind me yesterday of how few Christmases we have left with my oldest son before everything changes! How dare she! She's right of course; once they leave home it's not ever really the same. So I am attempting to savor this season, not just Christmastime but this season of life. I am grateful for my boys and the men they are growing up to be--whether they be on the basketball court or on the bus on their way to a three night field trip. How I pray they love and honor the Lord Jesus!!

Thankful...for the Advent of my Savior and for the freedom to celebrate His birth. How I praise Him, the Word made flesh who came and dwelt among us that we might behold His glory, the glory of the One and Only. He is worthy!

Wishing...you, my friends both real and virtual, a very Merry Christmas! Thanks be to God for the indescribable Gift of His Jesus!

14 comments:

  1. Have you read Nancy Rue's newest, The Reluctant Prophet? It's excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really enjoying Bonhoeffer by Eric Metaxas. Another good read is Christ Formed in You by Brian Hedges. It's been very helpful to me in this season. The other thing I'm reading now is Great Expectations by Dickens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remembered, and posted one last week, but I didn't want to bug you, in case you were busy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kim: See, I'm behind on my blog READING as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am I allowed to be proud of you for finishing your decorations AND almost all of your Christmas shopping? You SOUND like you are enjoying it so much more this season. And it's only the 7th which means you have the whole rest of the month to just bask in what has already been accomplished!

    I'm working like mad to finish up blogging/online stuff so that I can get off this computer. Making tons of progress and want to be DONE by tomorrow.

    As for a really, really good book - what genre? That Bonhoeffer book by Metaxas that Leslie mentioned really is incredible, thought-provoking and moving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm jealous that you're almost finished shopping. It's on my to-do list tonight to make out a list of who all I need to buy for. Sigh. Shopping is not my strong point.

    I love having all my kids at home, too. Doesn't happen very often anymore, but lately I've been getting lots of weekends with both girls so I'm very thankful. And I'll have both again this weekend!

    I started reading Trusting God today and am loving it so far. Hope you will too. If not, at least we haven't wasted any money. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always fun to read your status reports, Lisa.

    I wish I were as far along with Christmas preparations as you are!

    I'm reading Lloyd-Jones' "Spiritual Depression." Really excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm reading Jayber Crow, which I think you will like. It's a very different read for me, but I'm enjoying it.

    Other than that, I think you've read (or are reading) everything else in my current reading stack.

    The Bonhoeffer book sounds great...I do want to read that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our tree is "eclectic" too. I call it a "memory tree". I haven't yet been able to convince the kids to have a tree of their own in the tv room downstairs with all their decorations. Ours is burgeoning with the yearly ornaments they get in their stockings each year too and this year I didn't even put all my own ornaments in order to accomadate theirs.

    I've been hearing that the book "Radical" by David Platt is really, really good and challenging. Haven't read it yet myself though. "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett is really, really good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Christmases will be a little different once the boys leave home, but I can tell you from my experience, it is still just as magical as it always has been. Even though we're all grown and (I) have kids, we still do things just the way we always have. :) We still make our Happy Birthday Jesus cake(a tradition my mom started on my first Christmas), santa still comes, Annah and I still wake up around 4 am, and we still make sure mom and dad are in place in the living room before we come down the stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My decorating a shopping are barely begun, due to a vacation last week, but I'll join with you in cheering for the Internet and Amazon when it comes to shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My decorating a shopping are barely begun, due to a vacation last week, but I'll join with you in cheering for the Internet and Amazon when it comes to shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm reading Jayber Crow, which I think you will like. It's a very different read for me, but I'm enjoying it.

    Other than that, I think you've read (or are reading) everything else in my current reading stack.

    The Bonhoeffer book sounds great...I do want to read that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am really enjoying Bonhoeffer by Eric Metaxas. Another good read is Christ Formed in You by Brian Hedges. It's been very helpful to me in this season. The other thing I'm reading now is Great Expectations by Dickens.

    ReplyDelete