Sunday, January 02, 2011

How deep the Father's love

It is the first Sunday of January, the first Lord's Day of the new year, our second anniversary of chartering together as a church. I could, and perhaps will, given the time and inclination, write about both of those things, the new year as well as the Lord's faithfulness to us as a church. Today, however, I want to share the words to one of the hymns we sang this morning. "How Deep the Father's Love for Us" seems appropriate as I ponder the close of 2010 and the beginning of 2011, as well as our journey together as a church just two years' old. It's the gospel that reminds me of the depth of the Father's love, it's the gospel that moves me to gratitude for His gracious blessings, it's the gospel that compels me to desire to serve Him with greater boldness and passion, it's the gospel binds my heart with those of my sisters and brothers. How deep is the Father's love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died; glory to His name!

How deep the Father's love for us
How vast beyond all measure
That He would give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon a cross
My guilt upon His shoulders
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no powr's, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom

©1995 Kingsway's Thankyou Music
Words and Music by Stuart Townend

7 comments:

  1. I love the lyrics to that song and I love the arrangement and recording by Phillips, Craig and Dean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that song! Thanks for sharing it today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I do love this song. Happy New Year to you and yours Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deep, deep love... my anchor and harness for the road ahead. Thank you, Father.

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely love that song!

    Happy and Blessed New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful hymn. I'm so happy to hear you're involved in a new church too. There's something extra special about a fledgling body of believers. May God continue to bless your ministry there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely love that song!

    Happy and Blessed New Year!

    ReplyDelete