Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Monday Mish Mash, but on a Tuesday

So the boys returned to school today, yes and amen. Before some of you cast judgment upon my delight and accuse me of slothful and selfish, not to mention self indulgent, motivations, let me clarify: I love having the boys home. I wish they were each homebodies like myself and we could just all live here together, one big happy hermit family. What I do not love is a lack of routine that stretches for a month resulting in the sort of bickering and boredom we've endured the past couple of days. I do not wish them back to school out of some resentment at them crimping my style or something equally ridiculous. A two week break, such as we had at Christmas, is great. A four week break, not so much. We need the accountability and structure a schedule, and school, provides.

And today we jump back into our schedule with both feet. School, yes, also an orthodontist appointment, a meeting and basketball games. And homework no doubt. Hello, real life, we've missed you!

In celebration of the return of real life, my friend and I enjoyed breakfast at Chick Fil A. After a week of snow days capped off by the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday, we felt a chicken biscuit was in order. As was a trip to the thrift store where for $3.74, I scored two white platters, four small needleworks (framed), and a book by one of my favorite authors. Fun!

It's a rainy day today, one that is far more appropriate to our normal winter weather. If we were to play free association and you were to give me the word "January," I would no doubt reply with the following word associations: Dark. Rainy. Cold. Basketball. In other words, a perfect description of my day today!

Last night was my church's monthly ladies' fellowship. I was the hostess (yes, I am attempting to be deliberate in practicing hospitality, however unnatural it may seem!). I hope it does not sound self-serving to say that I think it was a success! We had baked potatoes with various toppings as well as lots of laughter and good conversation. I love my friends and sisters in Christ! I led the pseudo-devotion which was really a recitation of J.C. Ryle's points from the chapter "The Cost" from his book Holiness. May the Lord grant us strength to persevere as we die to self and live to Christ!

In unrelated news, do you see the "Things I Like" feature there on the sidebar? It's new, a compilation of various posts and quotes that I like or that make me think. Check it out if you feel so inclined! It will update itself as I find new things I like or that make me think...

Speaking of real life, I must now resume. Duty beckons: puppy, laundry, the previously mentioned orthodontist appointment, and so on. A mish mash of responsibility and privilege that is my service unto the Lord. May He be glorified in all things!

Happy Tuesday, friends!

5 comments:

  1. I so get the frustrations and boredom that result from a lack of the normal routine. I am very much looking forward to the day when we are able to jump back into our "regular day" schedule... :)
    And, since your post was a mish-mash, I'm guessing that is allowed for the comments as well? Holiness, by J.C. Ryle - on my list of all-time favorite books. Must read it every year. :)
    Happy Tuesday to you too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is an equal opportunity Mish Mash sort of post! Comments included!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, I mozied over your way after reading your wise comments on Shelly Wildman's blog from earlier this week. It's so nice to meet you. From the look of things, we have a lot in common. And yes, I totally get the "glad the boys are back in school today" thing. I love being a mom, but we all thrive on routine and, besides, the home just grooves along a little better each day if I'm alone it in for a while each day! Know what I mean?

    I like what I see here and I'll be back. Looking forward to getting to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these peeks into your life! Wish I could have had the CFA biscuit with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Structure and schedules are my in and out breaths. Even us homeschoolers who are home all of the time can appreciate the back to routines routine. Too much off time and MY skin begins to crawl within itself, at itself.

    ReplyDelete