Sunday, January 16, 2011

My heart is glad

Psalm 16 was part of my Bible reading this morning...

Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge.
I say to the LORD, "You are my Lord;
I have no good apart from you."
As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones,
in whom is all my delight.

The sorrows of those who run after another god shall multiply;
their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out
or take their names on my lips.

The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup;
you hold my lot.
The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.

I bless the LORD who gives me counsel;
in the night also my heart instructs me.
I have set the LORD always before me;
because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.

Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices;
my flesh also dwells secure.
For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol,
or let your holy one see corruption.

You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

This is one of my favorite Psalms. The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; indeed I have a beautiful inheritance! He has made known to me the path of life and in His presence is fullness of joy! Yes and amen! Today, as I reflect on worshipping with my friends and fellow church members this morning, my heart is full and I cannot help but praise the Lord. Discussing the gospel in Sunday school, talking about the things of the Lord with a new friend, singing songs of praise, hearing God's word proclaimed with power and passion--a beautiful inheritance, oh yes, and fullness of joy. I love my church family. I love my church. I love God's Word. I love the gospel. I love my Savior. My heart is glad and my whole being rejoices; I have no good apart from Him!

6 comments:

  1. Rejoicing with you, my friend. I'm very happy to read how happy the Lord has made you today and how he's blessed you with a church you love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rejoicing with you, also. Our music pastor has asked us to pray this for our church this year from Ephesians 1:17-19: "that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of His mighty power".

    So, I'm rejoicing that you, my friend, are glorying in the joy of our beautiful inheritance in Christ! Thank you for sharing today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I desperately miss discussing the things of God with fellow church members. As you might know, we made a ministry move in June; soon after, I received my diagnosis. Since that time, I've had contact with our new church people, but little "deep" contact (I know you know what I mean). I tried leading a Bible study in the Fall but with little response on the part of the few who came. Accordingly, I've been spending a lot of time studying on my own. It's been sweet, but it's also been hard on my heart.

    I need come-alongside friends to spur me along. My husband can only do so much... he's been a real prince on all fronts. Would you pray that God send me a sister or two to study the word with me? I need some spiritual rooting in this place.

    Blessed beginning to a new year!

    ~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Elaine: I understand loneliness and I haven't the difficult journey you've been enduring. It would be my privilege to pray for you. May the Lord in His providence send you a like-minded sister to come alongside!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When it comes right down to it, I agree, the following are ALWAYS my top Friday's Five Faves: "I love my church family. I love my church. I love God's Word. I love the gospel. I love my Savior."

    Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete