Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Status Report, January

Sitting...on the sofa in the den

Taking...a short break from the hodge podge of actvitiy I've been engaged in, all in the name of putting the house back together post-Christmas. I am an insecure (not to mention unskilled) decorator which means that restoring my "collection" of various knick knacks to some sort of psuedo-decorating statement not only stresses me out but takes me forever. Translation: I wander all around the house carrying a picture frame before finally deciding to put it back in its original place. After much thought, I might scoot it an inch or so to the left. What can I say, I'm a hopeless (not to mention neurotic) stylist.

Loving...the Acorn houseshoes my brother and sister-in-law gave me. I love them! Comfortable + warm = favorite!

Wondering...how long, exactly, puppies are so very...puppy-ish. Someone said three years. Um, really?!?

Reading...Rick Bragg's The Prince of Frogtown, the third in his trilogy of memoirs. I think maybe it might be my favorite of the three. I liked All over but the Shoutin' okay (but thought it was about 2 or 3 chapters too long and somewhat self-indulgent there at the end), I really liked Ava's Man, and now am liking Prince even more so. Often I find myself chuckling out loud as I read of Bragg's struggles to reconcile his childhood with his new stepfather status. Growing not too far from where I live (our town is even mentioned in one of his stories), he captures so perfectly the Southern sensibility; no doubt there are some in family line who lived lives very similiar to the hard working Southern poor he describes. That, plus he writes so beautifully...

Also reading...Holiness by J.C. Ryle. Good stuff. Consider:
No proof of the fullness of sin, after all, is so overwhelming and unanswerable as the cross and passion of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the whole doctrine of His substitution and atonement. Terribly black must that guilt be for which nothing but the blood of the Son of God could make satisfaction. Heavy must that weight of human sin be that made Jesus grown and sweat drops of blood in agony at Gethsemane, and cry at Golgotha, 'My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?' (Matt. 27:46). 
Wanting...to read Middlemarch next. True confessions: after being inspired by some of my friends and fellow bibliophiles' professed love for the novel, I went to check it out from the library. After seeing my name on the card twice, two years apart and knowing I never got past the first few pages either time, I was too embarrassed to check it out again. So, despite two failed attempts to read (and enjoy) the book, I'm determined to give it another go. Oh, and I just ordered a copy through amazon. How silly is that? Very!

Beginning...my third year of reading the bible through in a year and looking forward to it. I am becoming increasingly familiar with the big picture of Scripture as expressed by the various books and authors, particularly in the Old Testament as I would never profess to being anything remotely resembling an Old Testament scholar. Not that I study per se as I read; mostly I just read. Speaking of the Old Testament, I've also begun using Nancy Guthrie's The One Year Book of Discovering Jesus in the Old Testament as part of my devotional reading and so far, so good. Really, really good. The first three days' reading have been full of Jesus which is the whole reason I bought the book!

Finishing...this Status Report the next morning. Evidently my short rest break was shorter than I anticipated! I am once again seated on the sofa but now I am...

Drinking...coffee, black.

Enjoying...the quiet of the house. My husband has already left for work and everyone else, puppy included, is asleep.

Preparing...myself mentally to take on the unpleasant task of cleaning out my younger two sons' room. I dread it. I am a wimp, no doubt about it, but today's the day for courage. We will procrastinate no longer; we will clean; we will straighten; we will throw away; and we hope (against hope) to become more organized...

Planning...a couple of retrospective posts here at the blog, but I'd really planned to have them posted before the turn of the new year. Now, 2010 seems so...well...so last year...so who knows? Y'all know the kind of blogger I am (or not) so we'll see.

Wishing...all my friends a happy and blessed New Year! The Lord's blessings to you, friends!

11 comments:

  1. The Guthrie book is on my Amazon wish list, but I haven't let myself order it yet. I'll be interested in hearing more of your thoughts on it.

    I haven't even begun to de-Christmas the house yet, but I'm thinking that I'm going to put few things back when I do. I'm feeling the need to simplify even more this year.

    Good to see you back among the blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! I have read All Over But The Shoutin' and Ava's Man. It looks like I need to read the next one. I just haven't taken a lot of time to sit down and read, lately. I blame that on my self-diagnosed Adult A.D.D.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For what it's worth, I've never made it past the first few pages of Middlemarch. Apparently, it's not the book for me. (And I love that you ordered the book after seeing your name twice on the card inside it. I would have done the same thing!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to comment about Middlemarch but if Caniad didn't even get through it then HA! I'm now terrified to touch it!

    Enjoy the house and the quiet -- including puppy quiet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to read Guthrie's book. I'll look forward to what you'll share from it.

    I put away all my Christmas decorations last night, but haven't pulled out my old stuff to replace it yet. Kind of nice having open spaces. But in the end, I'll put everything back exactly where I had it before too. I'm definitely a creature of habit...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kids' rooms desperately need to be attacked, too. But I'm starting in the basement storage room, practicing on my stuff. So far today -- piles for the mission, for Half-Price Books, and for the garbage. How does it get like this over and over?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Re: puppies

    It depends on what size dog pup is. Big dogs = 2-3 years; small dogs = 1. I've made it to 2 years old with my big dog pup and you can still tell he's a youngster, but the crazy puppy stuff happens much less often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My word verification was antsoup. Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved The Prince of Frogtown! My FIL had me read it when we found out we were going to have a boy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my first visit here. I had to google the houseshoes. Oh my. They look luscious.
    I loved Middlemarch. It must get better if I stuck with it. (The details are vague to me now.) Even more I loved Silas Marner. I ordered the One Year Book Hope by Nancy Gutherie and it should be here any day now. I also ordered her Lent devo while I was at it. And you mentioned puppies. I will be back. :) ~Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't care for Middlemarch. I remember having to read it for a college class, don't remember what it was about, but do remember not liking it.

    Our little dog was just two in November and he's past the worst of the puppyishness. He's still young and spunky, but not such a puppy. That is....if the shelter we got him from is accurate on how old he is.

    I'm interested in the Nancy Guthrie book.

    Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete