Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What's On My Nightstand, January


Here's my reading list for this month!

I recently finished reading...
The Prince of Frogtown by Rick Bragg
Loved it. I think it's my favorite of the Shoutin' trilogy, All Over but the Shoutin' being my least favorite interestingly enough.

Nearly finished reading...
Holiness: Its Nature, Hindrances, Difficulties, and Root by J.C. Ryle
Very good and very convicting as well as very encouraging. I like how Ryle carefully outlines his points, breaking down the big picture as he explains each concept in its turn. Plus, it's about holiness and sanctification and let's just say he pulls no punches.

Peace Like a River by Leif Enger
We are reading this for our book club at church. I read it three or four years ago and loved it then and now I am remembering just why I liked it so much. The story compelling and the prose is beautiful. I can't wait to hear what the rest of the club thinks!

Started reading...
Middlemarch by George Eliot
I started it (again), but I ended up putting it aside to pick up later. Maybe.

Reading throughout the year...
In addition to reading the Bible through in a year, I am also using Nancy Guthrie's The One Year Book of Discovering Jesus in the Old Testament, a daily devotional exploring how the Old Testament points to the work and beauty of Christ.

Planning to read next...
Actually, I'm not sure (I never am!). Our book club will be reading Elyse Fitzpatrick's Because He Loves Me: How Christ Transforms Our Daily Life for our February selection and I am looking forward to that. My husband has Think: The Life of the Mind and the Love of God by John Piper for Kindle so I may read it. Of course, it's not like I don't have a plethora of options stacked up on the bookcase! I picked up Suncatchers by Jamie Langston Turner at the thrift store; she's one of my favorite authors and this is the one novel of hers I've never read so maybe that will be my next fiction selection.

What about you? Are you reading anything particularly interesting? Please, pass on any titles you find especially compelling!

And while you're at it, link up your reading list at 5 Minutes' for Books' What's On Your Nightstand? carnival!

11 comments:

  1. We'll see who gets to Think first. It can be our next reading race.

    Although something tells me that it shouldn't be raced through. =P

    The Prince of Frogtown. Definitely a unique title!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Peace Like a River mentioned on several blogs some time back and put it on my TBR list, but haven't gotten it yet.

    I think Suncatchers was Turner's first novel. There were things I liked and didn't like about it. I'd love to hear what you think when you're done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've given you my list through June...but I don't believe The Heart Healer was on it. That was an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm slowly reading Spiritual Depression thanks to your recommendation. It's so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Think is also on my TBR list. That one year devotional looks really interesting. I'm rereading Streams in the Desert for my one year devotional this year. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to repost, but I made an error first time around.

    Currently in process:

    Life in Jesus; A Memoir of Mrs. Mary Winslow by Octavius Winslow
    Revival and Revivalism by Ian Murray
    Commentary on Matthew by CH Spurgeon
    Women's Ministry In The Local Church, by Ligon Duncan and Susan Hunt
    Foundations of Grace-A Long Line of Godly Men by Steven Lawson
    Spiritual Depression by Martyn Lloyd-Jones
    Twelve Extraordinary Women by John MacArthur
    Prayer of the Lord by RC Sproul
    Attributes of God by Arthur Pink


    Okay - now I've been working on some of these for nearly a year! Being a bookaholic, I'm easily distracted by new books, but these are ones I really do want to finish---eventually :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Read Suncatchers and loved it, as I have all of JLT's books I've read. You've piqued my curiosity about Prince of Frogtown. I've read Shoutin' but not Ava's Man. Reading about others' struggles and problems is sometimes more than I want to handle, but I might just have to give them a try.

    I have A Shelter in the Time of Storm by Tripp waiting for me thanks to your review (or was it your best books post from 2010?).

    Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed Middlemarch, though I had watched the film first. I think that helped.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Middlemarch is on my someday list. Looks like some great reading.

    Nancy@5minutesforbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Think is also on my TBR list. That one year devotional looks really interesting. I'm rereading Streams in the Desert for my one year devotional this year. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete